Them Muskie Lures

Thru Wire Question / Help

I would like to use thru wire construction on my lures. I have purchased closed eye wire, so on the front, I have a closed eye and then I push the wire through the bait to at the tail of the bait, the wire needs to be made into a closed eye. What is the best way to do this? Are there any tutorials? I thought that maybe there was a tool out there to do this, but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg Them

http://www.themmuskielures.com' rel="external nofollow">

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
See Rule 4

My cranks are constructed from two separate halves of wood. So to make it a thru wire, I make a stencil using a scrap block of wood and a few nails and wrap the wire in the shape that I want it... perfect every time. then just put your weight in add a little super glue and clamp it together for a few minutes.

Pete,

Thanks for the reply. I am assuming you were directing me to your tutorial for the tools? Your tutorial looks great. What I was hoping to do was to drill a hole through the lure, slide the wire through with the closed end on the front of the bait and the wire through the tail. It's the piece sticking out of the tail that I am trying to determine the best route to take. I am trying to do this without using 2 halves. Does this make sense? Thanks for your help.

Greg

@ Them Muskie Lures

Really depends on the length of bait , since you would need overlength drill bits to put a hole through the lurebody .

Even when utilizing such bits , it still requires an extremely accurate working process .

Possibly don't use a kinda wood with pronounced hard and soft grain portions , since these are more prone to drill bit wandering , take a wood of equal hardness all the way through .

And I would drill the hole first , when the blank is still in a rectangular condition , not rounded at all .

Also I would drill it from eiter side to meet in center , since this way the drill bit only has a 50% chance to wander off center .

Requires very accurate marking , hole centering with an awl and perfectly angled aligning of the workpiece in the drillpress' vise .

Drill at high RpM and very low feed to possibly prevent wandering .

If the bit has still gotten off center , thus the two bores don't meet , the only thing to do is trying making the holes a little bigger in diameter , hoping , that they still would meet .

They'd be filled up with epoxy during later assembly , anyway .

Grind a small point onto your wire shaft to pass throug the hole easier .

To make the rear eye , leave the very tail end of lur a bit straight , not fully rounded , extend the entry of the wire hole to a bit more than double diameter for about 1/3" depth and than bend the rear eye around a nail , fixed vertically in a vise , about 1/4" to 1/3" away from the tail end .

Now wrap a closure coil around wire shaft right down to the tail , meeting the wood body and snip tag end off.

Use some fast setting epoxy glue to fill up extension of wire hole and to surround the closure coil .

Turn workpiece in your hand , so glue sets equally around coil .

After recommended curing time you can trim that "glue plug" flush and well-transitioned to body outline with "Dremel" router bits and by filing/sanding .

This way that ugly wire coil at the tail of lure won't be visible anymore .

good luck :yay:, diemai

Sorry Greg, I forgot to add the link:

This one is for drilling through a blank etc (a few different ways)

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/15017-drilling-thru-wire.html

This is the wire formers.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/14907-question-wire-former.html

There is a bit of reading, but maybe you will get some ideas from these.pete

to form the wire loop at the tail end of the bait check out this link post #6-alas I no longer have the photos though.

Yake Bait modified this method to do the loops in plain wire as well-I believe it is posted in the tutorials.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/10506-bending-0-062-wire-loops.html

hope this helps

I may still have the pictures. If the tail loop is what you are looking for PM me your email and if I have the pics I can email later tonight.