pikeman

small lure vs high depth

here it is :

I want to build a lure aprox 1.5"-2.5" long for a diving depth of about 16 feet. The water runs perfectly for a 3/4 oz jig with a 2" soft bait.

this one does the job :

http://salmofishing.com/lures/2_lure_large_images/hxx-yd_700px.jpg

but , because of the long lip it has an aggressive action , also I don't want a lipless bait involved cause in the area on the bottom is a sudden change of depth from 5 feet to 16 feet and I want the lure to be placed exactly at the 16 feet depth ( the lipless will get carried away ). No trolling involved also.

So , the question, is there someone who had an experience with this kind of stuff or maybe someone who can take a guess about how can I place a small lure at such high depth using a not so long lip? ( think I can attenuate the aggressive action with some lead placed near the tail)

Edited by pikeman

I think building a lipped crankbait to your performance specs would be very difficult, especially reaching 16 ft exactly with a 2" bait. I suggest using a fish head spin jig like the Sworming Hornet Fish Head Spin or the Buckeye Lures Su-Spin Blade dressed with a fluke type trailer. A heavy sinking plastic swimbait is also an option. They look like prey fish and allow you to follow the contours of dropoffs closely, which is what you need. They're a readily available option if the fish aren't biting crawfish imitations like a standard skirted jig.

@ pikeman

I think , that a deep diving lure without a big lip is quite paradoxical .

I might probably use lures like the "Rapala Countdown" lure style in your case , also because of the depth changes , that you have mentioned , also they do not wiggle too exaggerated .

But I surely prefer a long lipped diver , since it won't snag up as much , just stopping the retrieve , as it bumps the bottom .

I have recently made some lures(partly still unfinished) , where I believe to have found out , that a wider lip somehow slows down the wiggle .

So maybe try using the typical long diving lip , but make it not as narrow as usual , ESPECIALLY at its base(where it enters the body) .

I have uploaded a small , lathe-turned crankbait the other day , about 2 1/2" long(without lip) , that I was very surprised about having a tight , high frequency wobble without pronounced tail-swings .

I am almost sure , if I had used less buoyant wood for it , it would have got down to 16 feet , maybe also increase lip size a bit .

Its the bottom lure on the including picture .

good luck:yay: , diemai

DREWOB_02.JPG

DREWOB_02.JPG

DREWOB_02.JPG

DREWOB_02.JPG

DREWOB_02.JPG

DREWOB_02.JPG

DREWOB_02.JPG

DREWOB_02.JPG

4000_thumb.attach

Pikeman,

In my knoledge, they are 2 ways to make a crankbait run deeper:

1) Long lip (for a floater)

2) Sinking crankbait

I don't follow you quite right about your requirements for such a lure. Maybe you want the lure to swim at a certain depth in a current of water, so as to swim without any need to reel in the line.

I think it is difficult to achieve what you have in mind, and the best method would be the trial and error one.

Also, you want to reduce the wiggle of a certain lure. Have you ever seen that lure in action at the depth of 16 ft? (4.87 m). At such a depth, I think that the pressure of the water takes it's toll on the lure's action, reducing the wiggle. You also say you intend to lessen the lure's action by adding some lead to the tail. I neved did such things, but if I were to try, my first choice woold be to add some lead somewhere under the tow eye, or under the nose.

2.25 inch long and semi round is the smallest body I've been able to get down to 16 feet. I have a 2.5 inch flatside that gets down that deep and it has a very tight wiggle. Both baits have a 2 inch long lip sticking out of their nose. No way to get a short lipped bait down that deep on it's own. Carolina rig might a be an option.