gadawgs

need some help

I've been wanting to build a snake bait type swimbait but want to be able to work it over weeds and such too. problem is I would need it to be lipless but every snake bait I've seen has had a lip. Would it be possible to build and still get to swim or would I need a lip to be able to create a vortex? :?

I built a simple swimbait two years ago, from 15mm balsa dowel, as an experiment. It was only 4" long and 6 segments, but it worked very well, with a nice 'S' swimming action.

The lure was essentially lipless. The lip was carved into the dowel, kind of an angled slice. The tow eye was positioned in the middle of the lip flat.

I suggest you get some dowel and make a few prototypes and experiment. The action is there, just waiting for you to discover it. Might take a few goes, but you can always come back with pics of what you have tried and I will try to help. Make the front section about 3" long, then shorter segments after that.

Dave

I think you're too worried about this. Snake-like lure swim great.

I don't think a snake shape is that far off from a fish.

I think the trick is going to be how to mount some hooks that won't snag the weeds. Even if you had mount single hooks in the back of the snake, it's going to be tough to get it to land belly down every time.

I hope you figure it out, and post some pictures.

Good luck.