cbagley

Any tips on pouring screw lock jig heads

There could be a couple things. The lead might not be hot enough freezing when it hits the wire. The lead could be to soft try to add hard lead. It could just be the short screw locks. That is why I started to make my own. Try these and post back. We will work on it.

I stopped using the Do-it screw locs that are supposed to be used with the Do-It mold. I started using hitch hikers that Barlows has. You can actually hook the hitch hiker over the hook before pouring. Since I went to this I haven't had loose screw locs or had any break off when catching a fish. It does take a little effort to get the hitch hiker in the mold before pouring but its worth it to me.

I stopped using the Do-it screw locs that are supposed to be used with the Do-It mold. I started using hitch hikers that Barlows has. You can actually hook the hitch hiker over the hook before pouring. Since I went to this I haven't had loose screw locs or had any break off when catching a fish. It does take a little effort to get the hitch hiker in the mold before pouring but its worth it to me.

I totally agree with you. Been doing this from day one. Two positive things about this. #1 They never, ever get loose. #2 You can do this on any mold that accepts 1/8" base hole pins. So you do not have to buy all the other molds.

I use the hitch hiker also but differently........I cut them just past the radius and leave enough of a hook after the bend to grab the lead......they work just like the stainless screw locks but they are more flexible, which I like..........have caught dozens of fish on a single head and I have never broken one......they are a good size in reference to diameter also:yay:

Can you use the hitch hikers in a mold that is designed for a weed guard? If so, would you use the .13 coil diam.?

Thanks

Kent

You sure can I use it on every mold that uses a 1/8" base hole pin. As far as the .130 coil diameter, I will check the diameter tonight, and re-post, but I think you are right, because it fits snuggly in the base hole opening.

Can you use the hitch hikers in a mold that is designed for a weed guard? If so, would you use the .13 coil diam.?

Thanks

Kent

I did check them and you are right .020 diameter copper wire, with a .130 +/- .002 outside diameter helix (spiral) coil. BTW this is for the copper hitch hiker. I know they have them in stainless steel, which I haven't tried yet.

Got some of the new Do It screw locs from Barlows today. Do It changed them a little. Instead of the screw loc wire being bent in a right angle they are now shaped like a "U" at the end. This should give them a better bite in the lead and keep them from getting loose. I haven't poured any yet but will try them tomorrow.

Might want to look at the Shad Head Rig Jig. Same type profile as the pic you posted and would only have to modify it to accept the screw lock. It has an eye socket but not as much fish detail as your pic. Also accepts the Eagle Claw platinum hooks as opposed to the Mustad. 

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Shad-Head-Rig-JigbrSz-18-316-14-516-38-716brHk-32886brCollar-Wire-Holder_p_1096.html

Another option would be the poison tail jig. It’s a weedless Jig that is designed for an EWG hook but could be modified and poured without the weedguard. It has more fish detail.

http://store.do-itmolds.com/Poison-Tail-JigbrSz-18-14-38brHk-91768brCollar-Disc-amp-Holder_p_982.html

Edited by Apdriver
Added content
  • Like 1