yankee jigger

Crankbaits lack "depth"

Seem to be in a slump thats hard to get out of.

After looking in the gallery,most baits in there have a lot of detail,"depth" is how i put it.

I started out last year like this,just a two tone job:

F-7Rapalas001.jpg

Now ive progressed to this but still doesnt seem good enough.Any suggestions????

updatedwebsitephotoscrankbaits001.jpg

F-7Rapalas003.jpg

Ive started screwing around with scales and trying to fade in a couple colors but still dont have the "depth" im looking for.

Any suggestions??????

Say your were going to paint a simple TN SHAD pattern and you wanted more Depth..

1. Paint bait all white

2. Paint Black on top only the over spary will hit the sides.. and splatter... all over the sides..

3..Take that white again and spary your sides. to clean up the over spary.

4. Take Pearl white and spary all over the bait.. that will turn the top black to silver.. and fade your white to silver

5. Take the black again and paint the top black again

6. take the white and light spary the over spary again on the sides

7. take the pearl white and spary the bait again

8. now your ready for scales or stupid looking screen mess everyone uses.. EVEN ME!! PERSONAL!!! I THINK MESH LOOKS LIKE CRAP whoever started it should be SHOOT!!! SCALES LOOK NOTHING LIKE MESH!! THE SCALES ALL OF US USE ARE MESH!!! NOT SCALES!!! sorry... I had to VENT!!! where was I... ok lay your mesh over the sides and spary your gold on the upper half of the sides..

9. then spary black back on top again.. the more times you repeat the steps.. the more you will GET THE DEPTH YOUR LOOKING FOR!!

I have some simple shad patterns where I have about 15 steps. All the coats are LIGHT!!! TIP NUMBER 2... TURN UP YOUR PSI TO ABOUT 40 to 60!!! YOU WILL PAINT BETTER!!!! All the custom guys I know and that I have talked to that paint like nobody's business shot paint at a high PSI RATE!!!

Lower psi might work for some.. but with water base paint like most use on TU.. you need to shoot that crap HIGH to get it out of your gun.. if you thin it then you really have to layer it over and over again. However, their are other paints you can try out that work alot better at lower rates... but the smell will KILL YOU!! I tried HOUSE OF KOLOR that everyone always raves about!!! HATE THE STUFF!!! SMELLS TOO BAD FOR ME TO USE!!! I hope JT is reading this.. I know he uses different paint than I.. and I always wondered what PSI rate he shot at... my guess is less than me because lacquer shoot flow better.. but Dean always told me he thought water base paint layered better to create the depth your looking for.

Later dude good luck!