ccunningham300

Thinning Devcon 2-ton epoxy...?

9 posts in this topic

I finally got some baits painted...i am going with devcon 2-ton epoxy....thin with acetone? is there a ratio to thin the epoxy and the acetone? and is one coat good for bass crankbaits? Thanks for everyones help, it has helped alot!!!

Use acetone or lacquer thinner - just 3-4 drops after you mix the epoxy, enough to make the epoxy smooth on a little easier - and only if you really need it. I plan doing 2 baits with each batch of epoxy, and I only use one coat of D2T on a bass bait.

I agree with BobP 100%. I do the same-2 baits at a time, and do not thin it. I also read that alcohol can be used as a thinner.

I like to use denatured alcohol to thin devcon but I only thin it when I use it for sealing the bait. I don't thin it for the top coat and I only brush on 1 coat per bait.

Benton, I also use denatured alcohol to thin Devcon when I undercoat. Don't know why but D2T cured with DA cures faster than with lacquer thinner or acetone. I've also used DA to thin D2T clearcoat and had good results. It extends the work time of the epoxy but the time to cure hard is about the same as unthinned D2T in my experience.

Bob, I've thinned D2T for the clear coat on some jerk baits I repainted and few cranks. I really did not notice any problems but I started using Flex Coat high build and really like the results I'm getting. I only use the D2T for sealing now.

Benton, I started out using Flexcoat on cranks because I also built a few rods. After a year, the Flexcoat would yellow considerably. Maybe my Flexcoat was just old, but I switched to Devcon and think the results are better and last longer. JMHO

flex coat has uv stuff in it now and I think it makes the colors a little brighter. I found devcon yellows pretty quick if left in the heat of the summer.