justwannafish

Bird Lure

Has anyone ever made a bird lure? I saw an old thread by OHBlake that said he was trying to make a duckling lure. Blake had a picture of the duckling he was working on but I don't know what became of that. I think it would be cool to land a nice muskie on a top water bird lure. Who am I fooling, I think it would be cool to land a nice muskie on any lure.:o

Any pictures of bird lures out there?

I saw a web site for Thornwood Lures but I don't think he's in business any longer. I would love to build a lure like one of his. He had some beautiful birds.

Now that college football season is over I think I will clean up the shop and start making lures again. If I manage to create something that resembles a bird I'll post it.

Dave

@ justwannafish

Many years ago during my early days of making wooden lures , I have seen a picture of sucha lure in an American musky tackle catalog .

So I was curious about how such lure would act in the water and tried to make a knock-off , carved outta pinewood .

If my memory serves me right , the original lure was from a company called "Gopher Baits" .

Anyway , that lure turned out a little heavy with all the added hardware and hangs quite deep in the water at rest , only the very back and neck/head would stick out .

The paddle wheels I have made out of aluminium square tubing , both of them turn free on the center axis .

The lure only provides a reasonable , though not very perfect action at medium retrieve speed , and only with the rod tip pointing upward .

Retrieved too slow , the wheels would not spin , on a fast pace the lure would overturn .

Anyway , it was a great experience for me building it , so not in vain entirely .

Years after having built that lure , an original lure like in that previously mentioned catalog got to my hands , it is made of hollow plastic material and plated with some stuff like silk .

I couldn't find it anymore for pictures now , sorry , but I remember that it even performed worse than my knock-off , it would start to capsize and spin instantly on retrieve .

I have later somehow fixed a keelweight to it , it swam upright than , but the paddle wheels still wouldn't spin .

All this happened years ago , since I gave up upon such type of lures with paddle wheels , very tricky stuff !

But one might rig sucha duckling somehow with spinnerblades as well !

Forgot to mention , the lure is 3 2/5" long , from tip of pick and tail !

Greetz:yay: , diemai

ENTWO_01.JPG

ENTWO_02.JPG

ENTWO_03.JPG

ENTWO_01.JPG

ENTWO_02.JPG

ENTWO_03.JPG

ENTWO_01.JPG

ENTWO_02.JPG

ENTWO_03.JPG

ENTWO_01.JPG

ENTWO_02.JPG

ENTWO_03.JPG

ENTWO_01.JPG

ENTWO_02.JPG

ENTWO_03.JPG

ENTWO_01.JPG

ENTWO_02.JPG

ENTWO_03.JPG

ENTWO_01.JPG

ENTWO_02.JPG

ENTWO_03.JPG

ENTWO_01.JPG

ENTWO_02.JPG

ENTWO_03.JPG

4002_thumb.attach

4003_thumb.attach

4004_thumb.attach

Edited by diemai
text addition

Thanks for the replies.

Diemai, great pics. One of the things I was wondering about was keeping it upright most of the lure out of water. I'll be spening a lot of time at the bath tub making this thing work.

Dramone, thanks for the vid. Not exactly what I had envisioned but now I think I'll try that, too. I was thinking about just using a couple small spinner blades to mimic the feet movement but I was concerned they would interfere with the hooks. Diemai's paddles and the feet on your video have me thinking I'll try something like that.

I have to admit until I saw the end of the video I kept hoping a huge muskie was going to jump out of the water and take that lure down.

After seeing these ducklings and Thornwood's lures I'm sure what I make will look like a second grader's art project. If I don't completely humiliate myself with my creation I'll post a pic of what I make.

@ dramone

This "Ugly Duckling" is cool , really great design !

I like the paddle feet of wood , really help to retain the ducks buoancy .

Also the outer shape with head down and tail up hits the sight of a fleeing duckling a lot better and obviously is also a lot more stable in swimming performance .

Makes me think about trying once more................;):?!

Thanks for posting :)!

greetz ,diemai

@ dramone

This "Ugly Duckling" is cool , really great design !

I like the paddle feet of wood , really help to retain the ducks buoancy .

Also the outer shape with head down and tail up hits the sight of a fleeing duckling a lot better and obviously is also a lot more stable in swimming performance .

Makes me think about trying once more................;):?!

Thanks for posting :)!

greetz ,diemai

I think that you've hit it right on the head with a slight change in the ducks posture. Head down and trying to make it to any cover available.

Great work on the little quaker Diemai. Keep going with it.