tc-lures

Source for ccw prop blades????

Hi,

Great work everyone

I am looking for some counterclockwise rotating prop blades size 4 1/2

for some topwater baits, does anyone have a source for them or any suggestions, I have tried stamina, moores, hagens, barlow, netcraft.

thanks and keep up the great work.

Todd

@ tc-lures

I was to advise you to call in at Stamina's , since they have the largest "Woodchopper" style counterrotating sets of prop blades , as far as I'm concerned .

But obviously these are still not large enough to meet your demands .

Well 4 1/2" props are REAL big:yes: !

I guess , that you'd have to make them at home out of sheet metal , either brass , aluminium or stainless steel .

I have done that just a very few times before , though not in such large sizes .

The problem about this would be , that the larger the prop is , the more it would be subject to "untwisting" it's shape and/or pitch , since the thin sheet metal might not be rigid enough .

The material of those ready made SSt props is just a lot more rigid than the SSt sheets , that you could possibly work on at home .

I have also found , that aluminium sheet props don't seem to generate as much noise compared to brass or SSt ones , guess this is , because they are lighter and don't "shoulder" into the water as good .

Also props of that large size surely do require a bearing , so that they won't have too much play on their shaft , which would result into improper spinning motion .

Either this could be an inset homemade brass bearing(you can make such in a drillpress outta round brass dowel) or the prop is made in a way , that the sheet metal would be "double folded" somehow at the center bore , so it would have two bearing points on the shaft .

greetz :yay:, diemai

@ BobP

Oh , sorry , thought , that 4 1/2 was the length from tip to tip , thanks a lot for correcting me :yes:! Live and learn;) !

But nevertheless it seems like the 1 1/4" size has also to be homemade then ? Could get quite finacky concerning the small size , but yet not impossible .

@ tc-lures

Just went down to my shop and took some pictures , these show the brass bearings on approx. 1 4/5" long props of aluminium sheet .

Also two sets of counterrotating props without bearing and a single bladed prop that sport that bearing , that I have called "double folded" in my last post .

I believe , that such unsymetrical props add more vibration and "quiver" to the lure .

Last picture shows a crudely sketched suggestion of a homemade prop , but now , that I know , that your props should only be 1 1/4" in size , this style would be very tricky to cut out from sheet metal .

In this case I'd rather go for the flat sheet style , possibly with an added bearing .

If you should be interested(or anyone else) , just post , and I'll explain , how you can make these small bearings in a drillpress and fix them to the prop blades , it's not that hard to do .

greetz:yay: , diemai

PROP_01.JPG

PROP_02.JPG

PROP_03.JPG

PROP_01.JPG

PROP_02.JPG

PROP_03.JPG

PROP_01.JPG

PROP_02.JPG

PROP_03.JPG

PROP_01.JPG

PROP_02.JPG

PROP_03.JPG

PROP_01.JPG

PROP_02.JPG

PROP_03.JPG

PROP_01.JPG

PROP_02.JPG

PROP_03.JPG

PROP_01.JPG

PROP_02.JPG

PROP_03.JPG

PROP_01.JPG

PROP_02.JPG

PROP_03.JPG

4006_thumb.attach

4007_thumb.attach

4008_thumb.attach

Edited by diemai

I'm definitely interested in how you do the bearings, diemai, but maybe you should start a new thread on it.

TC - I guess I am a little confused, do you want counter-rotating props (meaning sets of props that rotate in opposite directions) or counter clockwise rotating props? Either way, you can buy the props from any of the sources you named and bend them yourself to get what you are after.

To further hijack the thread, I've had best luck with prop spin by friction fitting a buzzbait rivet in the prop's hole and then using a hollow metal bead for a bearing. The rivet stops the prop from wiggling around while it rotates. I think one of the musky guys here on TU suggested it.

TC, I think home made may be the best solution. The chrome plated props from stamina and others are not very amenable to reverse bending.

@ BobP

Pop rivets sound good , too !

@ Smokey J

Mission accomplished , opened new thread on making bearings !

Bought some "old time props" from Moores Lures years ago , these were of unplated brass , never came across different unplated ones !

greetz:yay: , diemai

Hey Guys

Thanks for the info, I have the regular props from stamina and was wanting something that rotates the opposite direction, since my topwater bait wants to lay on its side, I tried bending the ones from stamina but am not sure if I am getting a consistent result.

Diemai- thanks for the pictures (nice work)

I guess I will try to make some or keep bending the ones I have.

thanks again

Todd