Crankybaits Custom Lures

problem with "scales"

I searched but couldnt really find what i might be doing wrong.

Anytime i try and get the pattern to come out, it makes everything else really dull and dark.

If i do it too light, you cant really see the "scales" at all.

Is there a way I can get a nice sharp scale look without making everything dull and dark?

I sometimes use a dark color as the base coat and then spay bright white through the mesh. Depending on the look I want I'll then remove the mesh and lightly mist transparent colors over it which will still show the scales underneath but will have a vivid color over the white areas.

Sometimes I'll use a flat white as the base coat and then spray a pearl white through the mesh. Makes a subtle scale effect that looks really cool.

Alright, that's enough secrets for one post! ;)

I just did a black crappie repaint that's in the gallery.

I use a white belly and lower sides, black upper sides and back as the base coat, and then used a regular cheesecloth and avacado bag mesh for the scale stencil.

I over sprayed that lightly with pearl white on the lower sides, and pearl silver on the upper sides, and then sparkle white over all of it.

The pictures don't do justice (lousy photographer) to the depth I got with the scale pattern.

I just did another repaint of a 10" lure in the same scheme, with glitter bound in Minwax Polyacrilic hand brushed over that, and then two coats of Nu Luster 55.

The depth of that lure's scales is even better.

I can't post a photo of it now, even though I did take the pics, and they're in my camera.

Unfortunately, the problem in my computer has returned, and my Brother-in-law is taking it home tonight to strip it and reload everything, so I won't have access to my photo uploading software for a few days.

As soon as Dr. Doom fixes it, I'll post the photos.

Something I realized when I was fishing the lure in clear water yesterday is how the water amplifies the pearl white and pearl silver in the lure.

Even though the lure looks like it's black dominated when it's in my hand, in the water the silver and white really jump out. That's actually what I wanted, but I didn't think I'd achieved it, until it was wet.

Happy accident, or genius, depending on who's telling the story. :lol:

"Herd to say what you need to do differently without hearing what you're doing now first" from "clamboni"

Read what the guy said. "if i want black scales. i need to do a dark basecoat then go light.

instead of doing all my colors then putting the mesh over it and painting the whole thing black."

Basically you need to think out what colour you want the lines that make the scale shape want to be, then that is your first coat. Next layer is your main lure colours. Third layer is any blending for top or bottom of lure.

for example for a simple minnow

1 paint the whole lure black

2 dry, then shoot silver over mesh

3 dry

4 top coat

very simpe very easy very effective

Job done.