bbduc

Making Glass look alike eyes

I know , I know, not another eye question. I searched through the archives but could find the answer I was looking for.

I've been using molded eyes for my baits but want something a little more realistic. I have some artwork that I've done and want to now give it some dimension. Would devcon work if I mixed some up and let it sit for awhile then pour/drip it down onto my art.

Another option.

Should I be painting the actual devcon eye form. Maybe drip it onto a wax paper and paint the back.

How are those of you that are making their own eyes doing it?

I suppose I could by some blanks, but I'd like to try to make them if possible.

Thanks All.

Well I am very new to this board but here is something I've been working on. There will in the near future be uv cured finishes that can be cured in seconds with the right light. The reason I mention this on this thread is a product I been using to make eyes is just that a uv cured polymer. When cured it is clear and stays like that. These products came from a black syringe to protect it from sunlight as this light will cure it. The first time I saw this material was in wader patch form from loon. Now in fly tying,Tuffleye is the product.It has two consistancies core which is thick and finish that is thinner. One draw back with this product is that after it is cured it has a film on top which i remove with alcohol.This dulls the surface but I finish over it anyways.You can build up as much as you want,work it ,turn it ,push it, pull it but when you put the light on it is cured.The eyes I want are bigger than I can find so I just make them. They might be a little expensive at first but when you have the light the cost is minor. Hope this brings new light to this subject. Wait till the clear coat comes out in spray cans!

Frank -

"Well I am very new to this board but here is something I've been working on. There will in the near future be uv cured finishes that can be cured in seconds with the right light. The reason I mention this on this thread is a product I been using to make eyes is just that a uv cured polymer. When cured it is clear and".

Thanks for posting this, there has been a few posts on this in the past, but nothing that is as simple, and readily available. Apparently commercial lure builders have been using it for years.

I can just see everyone now, finishing lures under old black photographers capes, or coming up with 'Dark Room' plans, and the appropriate Infra Red lighting (or whatever) - groping around in the gloom, looking for a brush, etc - wife entering the 'dark room', flicking the switch and destroying 10 lures in a 2 second flash.

Bring it on, I am sure we will get around these problems. They say it is not real tough, just quick, but I am sure we will find a use for this stuff, which to me sounds very interesting.

Keep us posted.pete