T-Ball

Dick Nite's clear coat question ?

After reading alot of positive comments on DN's clear coat I have 2 questions. 1) Is the Clear top-coat what you fellows are using, and 2) I noticed it comes in quarts. Do I mix this with hardener or use directly from the can.( Note: if it is used directly from can, what keeps it from drying and being opened numerous times? ) Have always used Dev 2-t with very little problems, but some of the cranks I've seen with DN I like a little better. Thanks for the help guys !

T-Ball

I use dick nites 100% of the time. Better than anything else out there. When you buy it you want to get the

Fishermun's

Lure-Coat

Clear

Top-Coat

#S-81

It is one part but moisture cured. To keep it lasting long, keep the container sealed tight, try to do as many lures at one time, donot let anything drip or pour back into the can including the topcoat itself. Out of a quart i get a few hundred lures dipped. I dip them as i feel it is easier to just dip and then hang up and wait for drying. Others brush or spray. When spraying I thin it with alcohol and it works fine. Again its a great product and will last if you follow those precautions

Comes ready to use, unless you're going to spray it. Then you need to thin it 3 parts DN to 1 part acetone, or good lacquer thinner. I've had better results with acetone.

To store it.........READ UP ON IT. Then read all that stuff again. It's very temperamental, if you get any moisture in it it'll cure in the can and become too thick to use in a couple days. I draw it up into a syringe straight from the can. Then I put the lid back on immediately. Then I put it in the spray bottle, then use the same syringe to add the acetone.......the acetone cleans the syringe in one shot. I'd also suggest if you're going to be dipping or brushing not to use the can to dip in. Get another jar and work out of it instead. The main thing is to limit the exposure to air. Also, be careful not to tip the can so it can get on the lid. If it gets in the rim of the can, you'll have a very tough time getting the lid off again. And if it gets all over the lid, that's that much more air contact it gets.

Dean will chime in I'm sure, he's been using a product called Bloxygen and seems to like it.....it's a heavier than air gas that doesn't absorb water so it sits on top of the urethane and keeps it uncured. That's what the stuff is meant for.

Searches to try.

DNLC

Dick Nite* -make sure you put the star in.

Do some reading, the info is all there.

Thanks for the comments guys. I will be brushing it on. I use the acid brushes with devcon, and will probably try the same with the DN. I'm not brave enought to spray it, don't want to mess up my airbrush. Thanks Again, I'm gonna order some and try it.

T-Ball

I have a DN question and don't want to start another clear coar thread!

I would like to use it, but only make my own baits and not many of them. The DN always ruins after I use it no matter what I do.

I ordered some BLOXYGEN about 8 months ago and after about 2 months they said they were out and would credit my Paypal account. Guess they did, don't know.

About 8 weeks ago I got an email from them saying I could order. I did and I haven't heard frrom them since.

They don't have a dealer anywhere close to me and I wondered if anyone else is having problems geting it or is it just me.

I really would like to try DN, but need a way not to waste so much.

I've tried the suggestions on the site in the search engine without success.

A few answers about DN. No, you cannot dip lures, recover the drips and throw it back in the can. You cannot dip and hold the lure over the can to drip off either. Drip it onto some newspaper. Don't sweat the wastage. DN has a thin consistency and goes a long way coating lures.

I finally got a can of Bloxygen from woodworkersshop.com (I think!) It took 2 months because shipments from Bloxygen are spotty. You can order it direct at Bloxygen.com too and that's what I'll do next time.

Even large users like Dick Nite says he decants the cans into smaller containers to store it - he uses wine bottles. Don't plan on the DN lasting to the last drop if you store it in the can. When the level drops and there's enough air in there it WILL begin to cure and the rest will be lost. You can spray Bloxygen (nitrogen & Argon gas) into the container to keep it dry and liquid.

If you brush DN, you can clean the brush in acetone and reuse it forever. I like an artist's brush since it brushes a more uniform coat.

Lastly, if you want to just try some to see how it works for you, click on the Dick Nite banner ad when you see it at the top of this page. It will take to a special area on the Dick Nite site where you can order at a discount or even get a sample free for the cost of shipping.

Ok. I am sold on the Bloxygen and I just ordered a can. Today I ordered a Pint of the clear lure coat. I bought it from the other place though for $31.00 shipped, POR-15 Pelucid. I am pretty sure DNLC is something like $60.00 for a pint shipped? Welp, hope its the same thing lol looks like it.

So, now that I have a sample of DN, and a pint on the way, its time to get serious :)

Tonight, I am going to take 4 baits and topcoat (DN Sample, clear) them using a brush and see how it turns out. Will be doing two coats as everything I am seeing and reading suggests this should be done.

Edited by jameso321

uh oh

funny thing you mentioned that, I had actually known about that and forgot lol

-

I found my link to the TU part of his website and it works out to the same price which is cool of him.

Thanks for heads up, I totally forgot about that TU price break

Dick Nite on the TU discount page is $36.37 per QUART. Shipping brings it to around $50 per QUART. Just fyi.
Edited by jameso321

A few answers about DN. No, you cannot dip lures, recover the drips and throw it back in the can. You cannot dip and hold the lure over the can to drip off either. Drip it onto some newspaper. Don't sweat the wastage. DN has a thin consistency and goes a long way coating lures.

Thanks for your reply Bob but I see now I made myself unclear. My apologies. When I wrote leftovers I didnt mean drip and so but the contents left in the jar used to dip the lures into. Like say for example a soda can. That would be about 30 centiliters(10'ish oz?). It would be a shame to have to throw that away every time coating.

I've dipped, brushed, and sprayed........I prefer spraying. Takes a lot of coats, but I'm happy with the finish I get and the amount of lurecoat I use. And I don't have to worry about the lure again until it's time to add hardware. No more coats the next day. No babysitting it, just put it aside for a week then add hardware. I use a siphon feed airbrush. When i said spray bottle, I should have said airbrush bottle. As long as you clean the airbrush up after using, you won't ruin it. All you need to do if you can't do a thorough cleaning is spray a half ounce or so of acetone through the brush.......that'll hold it over, but i wouldn't wait more than a few hours before really cleaning it.

I've only dipped 3 baits. Literally. I was stupid and dipped right into my main can of DN.........Got lucky and didn't cure the whole thing. What I did was dip the lure in and slowly lift it out. I left the last little bit of the bait submerged for a little, then pulled it out and put it on the wheel. No drops fell into the can, I think that's the key. That might be bad advice but I didn't kill my can. What's probably a better idea would be to put some in a jar with a mouth just wide enough so your biggest lures will fit through.

Brushing obviously has the least amount of waste. I brushed it on a few baits and liked the finish. For the first coat. Then I went to put on a second coat, and had some trouble making sure I had the bait covered evenly and entirely with the second coat. One thing I did learn while brushing it.........IT"S NOT DEVCON. Don't try to use it like it's devcon. With Devcon, if you have an area that doesn't look right, you can just brush it over again and fix it. With DN, if you have a bad spot, save it for the next coat. It'll fill in and you won't be able to tell, but if you try to fix it 30 seconds after the first time you brushed it on, you're only going to make a mess. I didn't really give brushing it on enough of a chance, there's a few guys on here that are very good luremakers that brush it on with great results.

Then I sprayed a lure. I lightly coated it a few times then sprayed a few more heavier coats on. It initially looked great, then an hour later, It looked just as great, and still looked that great the next day. Smoother finish than with my few tries brushing. just as smooth as dipping but retained detail like scales and gills better. And all that on the first bait I ever tried spraying with it. I was sold and never looked back.

If you do start spraying it. Pay very close attention to how it lays on when it's freshly mixed. You can save it, but sometimes, when I don't do a thing differently, the mixture starts to cure in the bottle while I store it. I can usually get it to last two weeks no problem but once in a while I lose some. If you notice it not laying on quite right, try thinning it a little more. If that doesn't work, get rid of that batch and mix up a new one. I try not to mix much more than I'm going to use that day.

The only two downsides to it....I guess there's nothing that can be done about. One, the stuff is REALLY bad for you. Wear gloves and a respirator, and vent the fumes and that's not a problem. Two, it seems to cure harder for as long as you want to wait. I've fished lures 3 days after coating. Much too early. They held up ok to the hooks, but a couple bluefish and you could tell the stuff was still kind of soft. After a week, it held up better but still showed some scratches from smallmouth teeth. After a month, there's a noticeable difference from a week. Much harder and more scratch and chip resistant.

Now I started spraying it over different paints. I tested on a couple practice lures and am very excited. It seems to fuse very well with the new paint.