Jeep

Featherlite degassing time needed?

To my knowledge, the blanks should be fine after the 2 hour demold time. Are you positive that the tiny holes were caused by the Featherlite degassing and not any of the other coatings?

Be sure to wash the blanks before primer is applied to remove any demolding spray. This might cause your pin holes.

Snax,

Thnx for the reply. No I'm not sure, just a guess. I remember someone here (I think it was MuskyDan...) talking about degassing time of a couple days...

I don't use demolding spray, and as my baits are all foiled that shouldn't be it....hmmm maybe it is the etex.

:mad:

thnx

I always wait 2 weeks before I start working with a blank whether its plastic or foam. I have run into gassing problems in the past and this seams to solve them. I have shopping bags all over my studio with dates on them. and they usually don't get touched for about a month. I use aluminite but this should hold true with all plastic resins... if I try to cut joints a couple of hours after demolding it seams a little soft, the next day it is hard as a rock..Just my opinion.

K.C.

As they say; a picture says more than a thousand words:

Today on one of my testbaits I suddenly noticed this::eek::flame::pissed::twisted:

isitgas.jpg

It's like a blister....I'm not sure how long between molding and topcoating etc on this one but I guess it must have been a couple of days..

So my guess is that this is actually gas...

what do you guys think?

Maybe I could drill s small hole in the belly as a 'vent' on next one....

Jeep,

I'd use it for an experiment. Does the blister flex or move when pressed upon? If you put a needle sized hole in the blister and then a glue or epoxy in the blister, does it stay in place? Can the blister be removed and covered with a body filler?:?

I can understand your initial disappointment, but when life serves you lemons, make lemonade. Good luck and tight lines.