muskietom51

featherlite order

i've been experimenting w/ the platinum smooth sil 910. I just finished my final 2 part mold and haven't even had the chance to fully test it. i learned the hard way about the release agent and wasted about 25 bucks in silicone. the platinum stuff seems pretty cool (only have one pour so far) and it shows amazing detail (sometimes a little too much!). as far as the life of the mold... i'm not sure. i'm pretty sure mattlures uses platinum too, but i'm not sure which hardness (910 is the softest). Good luck w/ your mold, it took me 3 mold pours before I got one that I liked (and got the vents situated the way I wanted them).

whats the difference in the two types of mold material, just curious if one works better than the other. Thanks

Sorry for the delay, you've probably already ordered.

Unless I'm mistaken, the moldmax has a 10:1 mix ratio & recommends gram scales or graduated containers to properly mix.

The Omoo is a 1:1 or 50%/50% mix. much easier and forgiving IMO.

have fun & good luck.

I found that a smear of vaseline in the cavity was sufficient.

Dave

In any other context that statement would be hilarious!!! :eek:

Seriously though, do you mean that you are substituting the release spray for vaseline when you are actually molding the lures? Or just when making the mold itself?

Ahem!! indeed.

At the time I was messing about with RTV and resin/microspheres, vaseline was all I had available. I used it for both applications, when making the mold and when casting the resin.

I have recently discovered floor wax (thanks to a TU member) and would try that as a release agent. The floor wax works great for bondo/resin molds and I am sure it would work very well for RTV and PoP.

The vaseline (petroleum gel) is a little thin and sometimes the RTV can stick very slightly, but not enough to cause damage. The floor wax, being a little stiffer, can leave surface marks on the cast, but really, these are insignificant, given the several coats of paint and top coat. I usually wave a torch flame over the wax, to level it out.

The best release agent has to be that recommended by the manufacturer.

Dave