Fish_N_Fool

Any body using Durums water putty?

Fish N Fool, I have used Durhams Water Putty to make both one-part, and two-part molds; using soft-plastic masters. I like it much better than plaster, because it seems tougher. Almost all of my water-putty molds turn out perfect, but my plaster molds are about 50 %. Seems like the brittle plaster breaks when removing a hard or soft master. Water putty doesn't seem to have that problem. I use devcon 2-ton epoxy to seal plaster and water-putty molds.

Good Luck !

Oops , I forgot to tell you how I use Durhams ! I superglue my soft-master to a piece of flat plastic and place it belly-up in plastic container. Then, I put 8-12 oz Durhams in a plastic cup. I then add 2-4oz water, and stir with a coathanger, kinda like mixing-up plaster. Pour it into the container and let it cure for a day before disassembling. After that, seal the mold and enjoy pouring !

Alan

I have made a few of these molds, some are twenty years old now and still in good shape. After the mold is done I buy a can of appliance epoxy paint in a spray can and seal the mold. It takes three or four coats, but it makes the mold shiny and it will last for years. Later<>< <>< <>< <>< Jack

The only problem I have with the water putty is getting the master to sink approximately 1/2 way for a two part mold. I always end up with bulges that have to be sanded out. Everytime I have made a mold, upon removing the master, some of the water putty breaks off around the edges. Not as clean a job as I would like.

Going to try hydrolic cement next. At least it dries faster and I will spend less time waiting for an imperfect mold! :)

The only problem I have with the water putty is getting the master to sink approximately 1/2 way for a two part mold.

Hey Cavu, heres a tip: embed your master halfway into some clay, then pour the putty onto the master.

My findings on the watter putty is that its as fragile as plaster while its still curing, but once all the moisture has left the putty its alot more durable than plaster. actually feels more like ceramic.

You can cure it in an oven, but use low temps & long baking times (eg; 3 hours @150deg.)

Heres a cool tutorial from crankenstein.net on making a water putty mold for lead casting spinnerbait bodies:

http://www.crankenstein.net/content/articles/Making%20a%20Spinnerbait%20Mold.htm