Crusty

Alternative clear coats

No, epoxies don't cure unless they're mixed. They can crystalize in the bottle if they get too old and have gone through lots of temp changes - but you can warm it up to turn it back to liquid. Personally, I've had Flexcoat yellow more than other brands after a year on the lure, but it was old epoxy that I had used for rod guides.

Choices - JMHO, any of several clearcoats work well. Here's a thumbnail sketch of the 3 most popular. Devcon Two Ton is probably the easiest to use and it's available at Walmart. It's sold as glue in a 30ML double syringe and it cures the fastest and is the thickest. Envirotex Lite, aka ETEX, is an epoxy designed for coating table tops. It's sold in two 8oz bottles at Lowes and Michaels. It also works very well but is thinner and takes longer to cure because it comes with solvent in it so it can be poured onto table tops. Most guys brush on several coats of ETEX, or one coat of Devcon. Another choice is Dick Nite Lurecoat, a moisture cured one part polyurethane. It gives a slick, glossy coat that is very tough. Most apply it in 2 or 3 coats, 24 hrs between coats. Dick Nite is probably the closest to a "factory look" finish. All of them have their quirks, so you should do some homework with the search feature before you use them.

etex and flex coat are about the same product but flex coat now has uv stuff in to prevent or slow down the yellowing. Devcon 2ton is the easiest to use but will also yellow if left in the heat.

If you choose etex or flex coat, two coats will be needed. I've not tried Dick Nite's so I'm no help there. I wil say that flex coat has more flexiable finish than devcon and will resist cranks (a little).

A lot of the striper guys use etex.

I am currently using an auto clear coat (2 pac) and applying 4 coats in consecutive days to get the high build I'm after. I find it takes about 2 weeks to fully harden and even then it's not as tough as flexcoat.

I have just got a new product in that is suposed to have very high impact resistance and non yellowing.

I made a small sample batch yesterday and after only 24 hours it seems to be true, very tough indeed. Now my next challange will be to see if I can spray it on .

I will have to wait a couple of days before I can spray it over the auto clear but I will keep you all posted.

Cheers

Let us know how that new one works out. Pretty expensive?

I am currently using an auto clear coat (2 pac) and applying 4 coats in consecutive days to get the high build I'm after. I find it takes about 2 weeks to fully harden and even then it's not as tough as flexcoat.

I have just got a new product in that is suposed to have very high impact resistance and non yellowing.

I made a small sample batch yesterday and after only 24 hours it seems to be true, very tough indeed. Now my next challange will be to see if I can spray it on .

I will have to wait a couple of days before I can spray it over the auto clear but I will keep you all posted.

Cheers

Well.....I'd say the first trial ,4 lures 200mm long x50mm cup face poppers--- fail :nono:

I am trying to spray a casting epoxy, Supposed features include self levelling, high surface tension and very high impact resistance. Result so far....this stuff is soooo unpredictable ie: mixed samples with varying amounts of thinners to get it to spray, Samples worked great!

Sprayed the lures the next day, all lures key sanded and cleaned with thinners, mixed the epoxy exactly as before, sprayed lures- one lay ed up well, three beaded like a well waxed car:censored:, as they gradually went off the beading came together but still left an "orange peel finish".

I admit I am trying to use this stuff outside it's parameters and I am still going to try a couple of different solvents. By the way it has NO odours but it tastes really bad (scary ****) and yes I wear a cartrage filter mask. If it doesn't work ? Start again or shelve it:?

Unfortunatly the 4 prototype lures have to go off for testing as is (run out of time)

I will let you know if it can stand up to big fish punishment when they return in a couple of weeks

Cheers Crusty