Jump to content
46 replies to this topic
Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:45 PM
Uh.... I just wanted to know how to remove the lip. I really enjoyed reading all of this. Just got to it tonight. (I work 7 days a week). Some of you guys still have alot of pepper in ya. Reminds me of the old days on the site. Craig.... Ouch! You are still brutal. I will be back to put in my . We all know that it will be tastefull because I am such an .
Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:19 PM
Good to see ya back, Skeeter. You once being such a ardent advocate of devcon epoxy for a lure clearcoat. I was suprised to see you here again. Especially, since I hear that you are spraying urethane for a clearcoat
Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:50 PM
AHHH.... KC.... It has been a long time my friend. BUT.... You need to squash the bird that told you that I was spraying urethane. I did on 9 baits this past winter. I was having some trouble with my beloved Devcon. But I found out what the trouble was. I need to test this new stuff that the bird has. He may be onto something. He did some beautiful paintjobs for a guy in Mo. He clearcoated them with the "New Stuff". I liked what I saw. The bird did a killer job as always. But I have not committed to it yet. I am still using Devcon. Ask the bird who I will be making crankbaits for next. Those baits will be clearcoated with Devcon. After 9 yrs. I am still clearcoating with Devcon.
Edited by Skeeter, 26 January 2009 - 08:18 PM.
Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:19 PM
What you looking to do with them Bags Skeet? save the lips or do a transplant job?
Myself I like to trash the old lips and go with a new fiberboard lip on them classic cranks...
So its a bit of Crankenstein's lab work time... First off, snip that old lip off with a sidecutter about an 1/8 inch out away from bait and rip out the old line tie hanger carefully so as not to damage bait, then use file or dremel and smooth back to balsa. Now you can use dremel and clean out lip slot, or better yet use a jig to hold and bandsaw the slot. If you are going with the new fiberboard lip which is much thinner you only need a couple passes to make the new slot. Better yet, first pre drill a hole on drillpress for the new line tie wireform where the old hole is at bottom area of lip slot about an inch or more back into the balsa, then make your new bandsaw cuts just above into the existing plastic lip portion still in bait. create your new micarta lip with wireform and epoxy the whole thing up and slide in.
Everyone follow that??
Check these out... A original 70's lead in lip DB3 with lead hardware re-used, an original first generation poes that had brass line tie in lip, and a old original TAPP bait. All were classic fish catchers!
All were sanded smooth and new epoxy primer aplied, ready to paint, though Im a bit torn between leaving their beat up yet classic hues, or giving them new colors...
And if you are looking to use the original Bagley DB2 or DB3 style injection molded 80's lips, I have a good supply of old stock new ones I could fix you up with... maybe what you might need...
Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:26 AM
I bought a bunch of old DBII and III's. Some of the lips are crooked. I want to straighten them out and leave the original paint job. I am going to rework some of them and repaint them also. Long ago Calvin Johnson taught me how to weight them. I want to play with them and see if all of the work is worth it. I have my own lip that is actually better than the originals, but I want to use the originals in some of the others. You did a good job replacing those lips.
Edited by Skeeter, 30 January 2009 - 08:28 AM.
Posted 30 January 2009 - 06:51 PM
Some very interesting reading on this thread!
It was somebody's lost, floating, DB3 that was my introduction to crankbaits. I fearlessly fished that bait EVERYWHERE for the rest of the year - - from stumps in 2' to timber in 10'+ and caught some of the biggest strings of my life to that point (I think I was a wee teenager at the time).
Eventually the bait was claimed by a big flathead catfish.
Still a fan of both the 70's straight-lipped DB3's and the 80's version - - as well as the B-Flat and round-lip KB1. I dare say the KB1 has been my most productive shallow, round cover bait in life (though the custom baits I've gotten from 'Jacker and Marty are definitely on pace to give it a run - - and obviously are built far more competantly).
Gotta give a shout out for the baits that started it all for me, though...
Posted 06 February 2009 - 02:44 PM
Newbie here who just found the place!
I ran across this thread about Bagley while Googling for something else so I figured I'd join and throw my two cents in as well.
I have many,many old Honey B's from way back in the day that are still great smallmouth lures.I use em more than any other crank bait in my tackle box, but I have to say that the square lip does not hold up well in fast water and rocks!
I also used to fish with the Eager Beaver worms and between them and Jelly worms I have caught my share and them some.Sure wish I could locate some of those EB worms today.