chugbug5

Making Domed Eyes...

Hi Guys,

I'm new at making my own hardbaits - Especially when it comes to finishing. I found plenty of help from the TU-torials, but couldn't find much on homemade eyes.

Do most of you guys make your own or usually buy them?

I made some, using either foil tape and a red marker to make the red, and yellow electrical tape to make the yellow. Then I made the "dome" using Hot Melt Glue applying it over the eye after it was applied. Turned out pretty well, for my first try.

Anyone else ever try this method?

If interested, you can view pics of my eyes at: http://www.jebswebsite.com/misc_pics/domed_eyes_group.gif

Thanks... JEB

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments. Sorry it took so long to repost. I keep having problems with the server dropping my after I've logged in, and I get the log-in window over and over and over again.

To answer some questions and comments...

Photo-finish - I did that using the tissue paper and inkjet printer technique from the tutorial I found here. That was my first attempt at it, and it's a little crude. But as you can see - it REALLY WORKS!

Hazy eyes - YES, it did get a little hazy in the first couple I did. But it can be overcome...

First... I just used the hot melt glue I had. I mostly use mine for temporarily gluing up woodworking jigs, so I don't usually worry about what the color is. The hot melt glue I used was labeled "All Purpose". My wife works at the craft store, and she said you can buy some that's totally clear. She said she'd look for some when she went back to work on the weekend. So I'm looking forward to trying it.

Second... Some of the haze came from my technique. I tried to apply the glue in one shot, applying it to the center of the eye and let it flow out to the edges. But I had to put a little more on that I wanted in order for it go get out to the edges. Plus I used a hair dryer to try to dry it fast. Then it got hazy. So the haze came from a combination of the glue I used, the thickness I built up, and drying it too fast.

I found that I could work it a little more than I thought I could before it cooled too much. So on the next couple, I started to apply it at the edge, then rotate around the edge, then finish up in the center. I was able to get the glue slightly over the edge, and keep it flatter (which actually came from not applying as much glue as the earlier technique).

I also found that it wouldn't hurt to work directly on the eye I already applied to the lure. If it doesn't turn out right, you can pop it off and start over. The background color for the eye stayed in tact, I just had to apply a new eyeball.

Hope this information helps...JEB

chug- I had a go at this a few months back using D2T, they turned out all right but a bit hazy with some bubbles, so then used Glasscoat or something like that, they came out very clear with no bubbles (5mm eyes), I have never used hot glue, but if there is a clear, this may be the solution- I also found if you hang them upside down while setting they get a better dome. Very time consuming but what isn't in this game - there is a certain satisfaction in making all your own bits though. pete

Eyee.jpg[/img]

Eyeedge.jpg[/img]

Edited by hazmail
add pictures

You can guarantee if there is something sticky, there is a bug around. The dots looked pretty good when I placed them (in my eyes), it's amazing what a dome and a bit of zoom does, they look like they were painted with a pointed stick. pete

Edited by hazmail

I just remembered it - 'The Amber Room' , thought to have been stolen from Russia by the Germans in WW2, all the amber has bees and other bugs intombed in it, so maybe in the future these eyes will become part of an 'epoxy' room??????????????? pete

Edited by hazmail

DT- just to satisfy my curiosity, I made some more 1/4" from 'Glass Coat' about a week back, and no bubbles compared to D2T, it's so tedious though************ have made some others since and are better than these. pete

eyes.jpg[/img]

Edited by hazmail

Here's another two 1/4" eyes on a partially finished 4" 'swim bait', it's amazing what 'Macro' shows up, NOTE- small air bubbles, layers separating, placement of eye on lure!!! all fixable, I think I better get one of those magnifiers with light surround. pete

eye1.jpg[/img]

eye2.jpg[/img]

Maybe this will help someone who wants to make their own domed eyes. I made a silicone mold by taking a shallow plastic lid and pouring Alumilite RTV into it. Next I toook some assorted sizes of craft eyes and pushed them down into the still liquid RTV and set it aside to cure.

Making Domed Eye Mold02a.jpg

4105_thumb.attach

I make the eye by 1st. placing a few drops of D2T in the mold pockets and let it sit long enough to get thick 2nd. I either put a few drops of black paint or a steel ball in the pockets on top of the thickened D2T. I let this sit until the epoxy hardens. 3rd I mix some more D2T and thin it with denatured alcohol to the consitency of cheap pancake syrup. I finish filling the pockets with this. 4th. I sprinkle glitter on top of the thinned epoxy. It will sink down into the thinned epoxy and coat the sides of the eye.

the eyes will have a concave surface on their backside after curing. I guess this is due to the evaporation of the alcohol. You can fill this with a couple drops of epoxy if you want or use as is.

epoxy eyes curing in mold02c.jpg

4107_thumb.attach