chugbug5

Making Domed Eyes...

If you want a bigger more domed pupil, just put the paint in the mold pockets first and after it dries then use the thinned epoxy. the first two eyes in the pic above were done this way this is what it looks like on a lure. Sorry about the pic clarity I should have taken them with better lighting

Eye on Lure02.jpg

Eye on Lure02.jpg

Eye on Lure02.jpg

Eye on Lure02.jpg

Eye on Lure02.jpg

Eye on Lure02.jpg

Eye on Lure02.jpg

Eye on Lure02.jpg

4109_thumb.attach

Great thread going on here guys.

Thanks for all the input here, this will help all of us in making our own and realistic eyes.

Just brainstorming while viewing your molded eyes Jblaze, which are great. How about filling the mold with D2t and after the eyes cured drilling a centered hole from the back to the centre of the eye. Then put in a drop of black paint, let it set, then fill the hole again with epoxy. Maybe this should give a nice 3d looking pupil.

Grtz Paul

Maybe this will help someone who wants to make their own domed eyes. I made a silicone mold by taking a shallow plastic lid and pouring Alumilite RTV into it. Next I toook some assorted sizes of craft eyes and pushed them down into the still liquid RTV and set it aside to cure.

I did a similar thing but i think a little easier.....I stuck real 3d eyes to the underside of a cap and filled the cap with rtv.

hazmail, I notice you have clever ways of making things for making baits. Do you have any hints for making a smelter? I want to start making my own treble hooks. After reading many of your posts here and on ogf I am sure you have already tried. Seriously, it seems you make bass sized baits as I have been doing for the past year while reading many posts from musky baitmakers. What homemade contarption do you use to finish sand smaller baits? Thanks for your many informative posts. Mike

Spike- Sorry for hijacking this eyes thread, but this may be worth reading too.

Mike

I am not sure what you mean by "Smelting", but assume you mean heating steel to remove the carbon?? Last time I saw anything that would do this was when I was an apprentice moulder - at the foundry they used a 'Bessemer Converter' to to air blast steel to get rid of impurities and carbon from the molten steel (very old process, but best). This converter held about 10 tons of molten steel. If this is what you are after (smaller of course), I have no idea where you could get or make such a thing - I'm thinking it would be simpler to buy the right grade wire and go from there-- If by smelting, you mean something different let me know and we will see what we can come up with.

My baits range from 2" to 4 1/4" and I use a home made sanding wheel - there is a thread started in October 2007 which is full of many different ways of sanding/routing etc, mine is Post No 38 in this thread -

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/10621-rounding-hardwood-lures.html

You should read the whole thread, as there is a heap of great ideas all through it- maybe it all should be in the 'Tutorials' .pete

Pete, thanks for the quick reply. I used the wrong word, I wanted to start with iron ore to make hooks but wire sounds easier. I knew you were the person to ask about sanding, you apparently have a collection of custom tools you made to make tools to make baits. The thread you sent me to was just what I was lloking for, thanks. It should be in the tutorials. Mike