teak oil

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 haulinbass

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

I wanted to know from someone if teak oil will seal my wood baits and if i can paint over it with no problems?thanks for any help for a newbie

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

Teak oil is used on teak as a top dressing to maintain its golden brown color. It's not a finish and is not meant to be coated with other finishes. I don't think acrylic paint or most clearcoat finishes will adhere to it. There are several proven choices for undercoating - epoxy, poly, various wood sealers, propionate. Why not use one of them?

#3 bassrecord

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:49 AM

Teak is a special wood. If you drop some sharp object and dent it, a wet towel and steam iron will raise the teak wood fibers and you can completely remove the dent with some 0000 steel wool and An-Teak oil.

Green teak trees require 12 month + to dry out enough to saw it. Then after being dried and made into furniture teak absorbs moisture from the air swelling joints, drawers and shelving. A teak oil is a must to reduce this moisture absorption.

The purpose of a teak oil such as An-Teak, is to condition teak wood, not make lures. I would suggest that you stay with WU recommended coatings.

Good luck!