Megan Massey

Just getting started

Welcome to TU Megan Massey.

Probably not a bad idea, because if you don't like the finishing process, then their would be no point continuing. If you don't like the building process, you can always buy the bodies.

Personally, I started with building and testing. I guess one day, I will get around to painting.

Dave

Welcome to your new addiction!!! ;)

I also think it's a great idea to try some repaints but also don't be afraid to find some threads on making the style of baits that interest you and jump right in head first! I did four years ago and I'm still learning from everyone here!

Have fun and remember that we never make a mistake...We just change our minds! :yes:

Megan, sure! Some do ONLY repaints. Some are interested in modifying commercial crankbaits and repainting them. Some buy all the components, assemble and paint them. Some want to start with the tree and end up with the lure :) Most of us jump in at one of those points and then branch out as we gain experience and find other things about lure building that interest us.

"Don't have fun!"

Lol, Mark, you're a smart dad! I wish I had thought of that when my kids were younger.

Megan, there are very few absolutely right and absolutely wrong answers in this asylum known as "hard baits."

But I would suggest that for two or three bucks each, you could buy some unpainted "blank" lures instead of going through the trouble of "roughing up" (meaning lightly sanding) a bait that you bought.

By purchasing inexpensive blanks you will be able to get a good feel for the painting process and if you don't like the results, you can simply wipe off the water-based paints with water and try again. That is a trick we all employ when we make a mistake, even after building for years.

Also the final finished bait will run nicely in the water because you will not be painting over paint, which can at times alter the action a little bit, especially on very small baits. That is a minor consideration, but starting on a clean unpainted bait is just a nice way to go over all.

Vince

fatfingers