MarcDavidBaits

Aztek Compressor

I'm wary about "max air pressure". You often find that the working pressure is about half of what manufacturers say is the max pressure on an airbrush compressor. If true on the Aztek (I've never used one), you would be shooting paint at 20 psi. Now, that's a do-able pressure but a lot of crankbait guys prefer to have 30-40 psi available. I think for $100 you can find a double cylinder Chinese airbrush compressor with more working pressure. I know several have been recommended here on TU, which you might find through the search feature. If noise is not an issue, you can certainly find several tool compressors in the $80-100 range that will put out more working pressure than you'll ever need. Slap a $20 pressure regulator and a moisture trap on it and you're in business.

If i could start over with a different compressor I would deffinately get one of the little 1-2 gal compressors that are sold at menards and sears. They are less than a hundred bucks, come w/ regulators (still need the moisture trap), have up to 100psi (in case you needed it for something other than airbrushing), and won't run constantly. An air compressor that constantly runs when you paint can get anoying, and I'm sure my neighbors down below in my apt don't appreciate it much either. As far as I see it, specific airbrush compresors are over rated and over priced. :twocents:

First off stay away from that aztec compressor. I had one and sold it a garage sale for $2, thats about what its worth too. I have a 30 gal. 2 hp caftman in my garage, and have ran a line to my basement where I paint. A small pancake compressor is probably better suited for the job, but with a big tank you can spray for a very long time with out running the compressor.

I use a Badger 180 airbrush compressor that I was given. Why do I like it? It was free! But it does have auto shut-off and develops 45 psi working pressure. It doesn't take up much room and I can store it on a shelf in the garage. If I were buying one today, it would be a small tool compressor with a 2 gallon tank (I don't care about the extra noise since I paint in the garage).