BassMadness

Adding More Detail

I was fiddling around the other day and decided I wanted to get more texture detail on one of my baits. I decided to carve in the plastic a little bit to create this detail. I know there are other methods but with some practice I think this could look very nice.

So my question is, if I don't scratch that deep then will it ruin the integrity of the bait? Also I know that you have to be careful or the bait will not swim straight but has anyone done this with any success?

Thanks

Be very careful here, BassMadness. This is how it all starts...first you just want to try a little alteration here and there on baits that you already have.

Lol, it all starts out so innocently and seems so benign. Next thing you know you have a woodshop, a paint shop, an assembly bench, and more tools than you ever dreamed you'd own. You'll find yourself hanging out a the fabric store looking for netting materials to paint scales and after a while, you're actually comfortable hanging out with all those old women in there. You don't even care that they stare at you as you fondle the netting.:teef:

To answer your question, test the bait during the carving process. Don't be afraid to sacrifice a bait or two to learn the parameters of what you're trying to do. If you make a mistake, you'll be in good company. We've all pushed the envelope too far with all this stuff, but learning is half the fun.

Welcome to the forum...and the insanity.

You'll find yourself hanging out a the fabric store looking for netting materials to paint scales and after a while, you're actually comfortable hanging out with all those old women in there. You don't even care that they stare at you as you fondle the netting.:teef:

So true. I've received some weird looks at Jo-Ann Fabrics. LOL

Hey, carve away! But if you hole it, it's done. I don't think the plastic is thick enough to carve deep enough to alter the action much. And unless you carve out large areas, the integrity will still be OK. I haven't done it in plastic but plenty of us carve wood bait details.

What's wrong with a little Bridal Vail netting trimmed with floral daisies and back stitch doilies (as long as you're not wearing them secretly under your street clothes). (Certain floral designs make great craw patterns but you didn't hear it from me.)

As I've mentioned several times, I come from the production side of the lure industry so when I find myself getting carried away (and it doesn't take much), I stop and ask "is it for the fish or the fisherman" (trigger a strike or trigger a sale is another way of expressing it). I believe there is a happy compromise in there somewhere. The speed and movement of a crankbait renders it somewhat of a blur to the fish where top water baits allow the fish to study your work. And all of this is predicated on time of day, water clearity etc.

See how easily I get carried away!?

Hey Wanna, I think design possiblilities are only limited by preconceived ideas of what works. Edison tried some 10,000 different filaments when designing the light bulbs.

My wife is still wondering what happened to some frilly garments she had in the dresser. She would be hurt if I told her I think they look better on my baits than her.

Yes Gary, follow the lace...

Dean

Thanks guys. I've been looking for something with a defined pattern as I'm not so good at the free-hand painting yet.

I saw a video where a guy mounted the pattern material in an

embroidery hoop like my Mom used to do her crafting with. He simply held the lure up to the material and sprayed through. They are cheap so several could be set up in a vise and exchanged as desired.

Gary

I scale cranks with soft mesh that I pull over the crank, and hold together at the bottom with clothes pins. That way I can hold the bill or the cloths pins while I'm painting the scale pattern.

For my jointed lures, I use a different method.

I hang my cheese cloth mesh fabric, a piece 18" square, over a piece of plywood. It's mounted with duct tape (git 'er dun!) on the top as a hinge.

I attached a piece of dense foam about the same size to the plywood face (duct tape again), and have vertical rows of screws on both sides of the spray area. That lets me suspend a lure between two opposing screws, push it tight to the foam, and lay the mesh down over it.

Then I use bulletin board pins to pull the mesh tight to the lure face. If one part of the mesh gets too gunked up, I just use a different pair of opposing screws.

That way, I can spray the scale pattern on with the lure horizontal and facing me. I do one side, dry it, and then reverse the lure and do the other.

It's an inelegant method, but it works. And it's easy to change mesh once it gets too ratty.

uups, my mistake , brc meant that you can apply different shapes on the lure using for example foil to obtain a 3D effect, you simply stick it to the lure and paint over. Also you can do 3D scales by gluing a mesh on the lure and apply aluminium foil over it.

mark , the models brc reffered to were the 3D gills that were obtained from foil...the scales I think were made using the same method as you've mentioned. :wink:

Pikeman,

I had visions of spraying 3M glue on mesh, and applying it, and then painting over that.

I thought of that when I read your post , took a moment to imagine the looks of the lure with the mesh glued on and painted over , man, I tell you, that scared me, frickin image :lol: Still I think it will work with other materials (more material between the eyes of the mesh) and larger scales, acrylic paint will work on that for sure :) weird imagination => weird lures :lol:

for sure using thinned devcon to apply the mesh will harden the material ( the glue will be absorbed by the mesh) , for larger lures (like swimbaits ) I think it will work . Man I think I'm going to give it a shot

http://www.meshbagsandmore.com/Mesh/MB-SA-2436C.jpg

Edited by pikeman

For larger scale patterns, I use the green mesh that avocados come in. It's flexible, so it can be stretched to mold to a lure shape.

I looked at the mesh bag you included. Interesting.

I just requisitioned my kids camp laundry bag. They're through with camp, and the bag has an interesting double mesh pattern.

Sick, I know. :lol: