Them Muskie Lures

Scale Patterns

I am constantly looking for different scale patterns to paint, thus I am always looking at stores to find something "new". I think most people know about laundry mesh bags, but are there any unusual items that are used? Here are the list of items I use:

1. Laundry mesh bags

2. Drywall patch repair kit

3. Drywall tape

4. Gutter guards

5. Drawer liners

Thanks,

Greg

I am constantly looking for different scale patterns to paint, thus I am always looking at stores to find something "new". I think most people know about laundry mesh bags, but are there any unusual items that are used? Here are the list of items I use:

1. Laundry mesh bags

2. Drywall patch repair kit

3. Drywall tape

4. Gutter guards

5. Drawer liners

Thanks,

Greg

All good ideas....how about a pair of fishnet stockings ?

Found this mesh stretched across the top of a box of small specialty oranges in the produce department. Its a little different pattern than I have seen before also the plastic netting material between the holes is a little wider and or thicker. not sure what it will look like, the man cave is much to cold to venture into.

P1230063.jpg

P1230063.jpg

P1230063.jpg

P1230063.jpg

P1230063.jpg

P1230063.jpg

P1230063.jpg

P1230063.jpg

4066_thumb.attach

My friend Jio has recently used pieces of window curtain , these provide an quite unusual pattern , but this really depends on the one , that you can get a hold on(but make sure , not straight off the bedroom window:huh::huh::lol:) .

I get my netting from sewing and textile stores , I guess in English the stuff is called "tulle"(at least in my dictionary:huh:;)) .

greetz:yay: , diemai

still looking for a mesh to imitate real scales pattern :( think if you don't put so much tension the net's eyes will follow a semi-round pattern, like this :

http://www.nightshaderose.com/netting/illustrations/square-mesh-5r.jpg

which normally looks like this :

http://www.nightshaderose.com/netting/illustrations/square-mesh-11s.jpg

just a mater of tension applied , less -> the mesh might slip , more -> the mesh will have rectangular eyes

Try Wedding vail in fabric area at WalMart or Hancocks/JoAnn Fabrics. Works great! You can choose from all kinds of sizes. I use the smallest I can find. Cut out a piece big enough to cover your lure with about 2" extra to hold onto and pull tight from the bottom and then airbrush.

bassky

Greg, Not sure that this would qualify for something to paint scales with but I found this cloth in the Walmart store. It has holographic sequins glued to it. So I stretche a piece over a junk bait that wouldn't swim and this is how it turned out with a little sharpie coloring. I think the cloth itself has a scale look to it. I made the pic as large as I could without breaking the rules so I hope it has enough detail for you to see what I am talking about. It was much easier to stretch and glue than Mylar. Now, if I can just get those sequins off.

John

Shad01a.jpg

Shad01a.jpg

Shad01a.jpg

Shad01a.jpg

Shad01a.jpg

Shad01a.jpg

Shad01a.jpg

Shad01a.jpg

4123_thumb.attach

@ JBlaze

This looks pretty cool :yes::yes:!

As it seems to me , one don't have to paint over it too much(only for smooth transitions of back and belly) , it surely looks good like this:yes: !

Certainly those round holographic pieces would also add flash to a lure , so I would not neccessarely try to remove them , at least not on all lures plated that way , even though it might not exactly resemble a living fish:wink: .

And a few topcoats would surely achieve a smooth surface on the lures .

Guess , that you have opened a new field for experiments with that clothing stuff;) !

good luck with it:yay: , diemai

Found this mesh stretched across the top of a box of small specialty oranges in the produce department. Its a little different pattern than I have seen before also the plastic netting material between the holes is a little wider and or thicker. not sure what it will look like, the man cave is much to cold to venture into.

I also use some redplastic netting that are stretched over orangeboxes, and its very similar to the one you posted. Another cool thing is that each box has some differences in the scale.

gooni.jpg

Here it is on an 8" bait.

Michael

Michael, that looks good. I havn't tried it yet due to the cold weather here in East Tn. I have an uninsulated and unheated garage. I think those slightly rounded scales look a little more realistic than the mesh that I have been using. Hope you post another pic when you are finished with it.

Thanks John