MR KNOW IT ALL KIND OF

Wingin it way to cut a straight lip

Styrafoam... Did I spell that Right DEAN!!!! basically I take foam from packaging when I buy a new tv or Blue Ray player.. or whatever you spend your wife's money on.. and I use the left over packaging styrafoam and drill small holes in it.. then I put the tail of my crankbait in the slot and level it off.. take it to the band saw and you can cut a straight lip! Dont know if this has been talked about but I wanted to share this long time ago.. its the winging it way to cutting a lip!

Of all the steps involved in building a crankbait, I feel this one is the most critical. The best paint job in the world can go down the toilet with a bad cut. And if by chance I do find just that right angle at the right insertion point under the lip, how can I record and duplicate it for future baits?

V blocks and a custom jig is the way I found that works best. For band saws I make what I call a sled that holds the bait on its side. V blocks positioned on the sled lock and hold that bait-it's not going anywhere with no damage to the finish. Fortunately my band saw has grooves on the tabletop allowing me to by runners under the sled enabling me to hit that sweet spot on the bait every time. I have multiple sleds-one for every style. The v blocks are easy to make off a lathe.

There is another method I was taught with a circular saw, v blocks, a sled where the bait drops in nose first but its' too had to describe.

I just re-read my sled descritpion and it seems a bit vague. If anyone wants more detail or photos, feel free to contact me directly.

There is an additional and even easier method I've been using lately that involves cutting in the lip before the carving. Sounds improbable I know but it works like a charm and requires only a band saw. Contact me for me info if interested.

I always cut my lip slots before carving while my blank is still flat, but I can see how that'd work for you Rookie, on that molded plastic bait...as long as your molded bait has perfectly matched sides, obviously...I think I may have occasion to try that out in the near future...kind of a winging it method for an instant mold for a few already-shaped blanks--center the lure sideways in the STYROFOAM (you were close) and cut a slot!

and Birdman, V blocks and a custom jig sounds way perfect; as long as your bandsaw blade is perfectly perpendicular; then you could cut perfect slots in hundreds of lures, or until your arms fall asleep!

:yay:

Dean

Rookie,

That's a great tip.

The only lips I've put into lures have been either when a lip breaks off a crank, or when I've made a lure that doesn't have enough action and I'm trying to save it, so the lures are already shaped.

I've been able to free hand it so far, just holding the lure by hand and cutting the slot with my bandsaw, but your method sounds perfect for me. Once I get the lure actually embedded in the foam, I can sand the base of the foam block to get the lure oriented perfectly to the blade.

You are a genie a$$! :teef: