mangeboy79

swimbait/crankbait ???

Good question, while we're at it what defines a jerk bait from a swimbait, wakebait or a glider.

I know that I have seen some beautiful baits on here called gliders but I don't know how they are fished or what actions they have. I know what a wake bait is or acts but is it still a jerkbait?

John

Edited by JBlaze
add text

I've always considered baits with free swimming action (no forced water displacement) throughout multiple joints "swim" baits. If it has a lip, i coin it a crankbait, whether it is for waking the surface or diving 20ft. A jerk bait, well I guess thats in the eyes of the beholder and what type of fish you seek. I typically view a jerk bait as any minnow shaped bait in the lines of an original rapala. Anywho, not saying I'm right by any means... just chippin' in my :twocents:

I can see where this would be important, especially when marketing a lure.

I think crankbaits are by definition hard baits that are cast and retrieved. There are lots of subcategories, some overlapping, just to further describe the crankbait's action, or more often how it is meant to be retrieved. Lipless rattle baits are crankbaits. So are jerkbaits, swimbaits, twitch baits, gliders, etc. If none of the existing names fits a crankbait you originate, make up your own descriptive name and it will be accepted if the bait becomes popular.

Crankbait = A body bait that uses a diving lip to achieve swimming motion

Swimbait = A body bait that has no diving lip and achieves it's swimming motion via the shape,placement and number of jointed segments

Jerkbait = A one piece body bait that achieves it's action via various twitches from the anglers fishing rod. They have no diving lip. Some are side to side glider style and others are dive and rise types. This would be the standard definition however companies have been calling twitch baits jerkbaits.

Twitch bait= A body bait which may or may not be jointed but does have a diving lip and is fished erratically with snaps of the fishing rod as opposed to a straight crankbait retrieve.

Crankbait = A body bait that uses a diving lip to achieve swimming motion

Swimbait = A body bait that has no diving lip and achieves it's swimming motion via the shape,placement and number of jointed segments

Jerkbait = A one piece body bait that achieves it's action via various twitches from the anglers fishing rod. They have no diving lip. Some are side to side glider style and others are dive and rise types. This would be the standard definition however companies have been calling twitch baits jerkbaits.

Twitch bait= A body bait which may or may not be jointed but does have a diving lip and is fished erratically with snaps of the fishing rod as opposed to a straight crankbait retrieve.

I agree with this one but we call the dive and rise jerk baits pullbaits here. I think its more the southern musky slang used here and not the correct term.

There has been several post here on this topic and there is alot of confusion of the correct terms are. Alot of factors play a role in slang definition, like where your from or the species of fish your that your chasing but it boils down to is its slang terms most of us use and I believe your statement above to be the true meaning. This is just my opinion.

crankbait- reel in to impar action

glider-subsurface lure that when jerked moves forward in a smooth gliding motion to one side then the other on the next jerk(walk the dog action under water)

swimbait- a jointed bait that has a swimming motion when reeled or jerked(can be worked on top as a wake bait too)

twitch bait- surface bait that when twitched impars action to bait(zara spook for one)