Megan Massey

Please bear with me ...stupid questions

Thank you in advance for helping out a newbie with your opinions ...what wood do you prefer to carve your hard baits out of ...i have alot of cedar available ...would that work ? also where is a good site to find tackle making supplies ..like hooks, split rings and diving lips, maybe some scale pattern ?? thanks again ...

Yes, cedar will work well. Red cedar works easier than white cedar. I mainly use poplar for swimbaits, and balsa for crankbaits. There are many suppliers out there....Jan's Netcraft, Barlow's, Stamina, McMaster-Carr (for hardware, lexan for lips, stainless steel hardware), your local fabric shop, or Wal-Mart can supply material for scale patterns, not sure what it is called. Minnow nets can also be used for scale patterns. Hope this helps get you started.

David

Yes, cedar will work well. Red cedar works easier than white cedar. I mainly use poplar for swimbaits, and balsa for crankbaits. There are many suppliers out there....Jan's Netcraft, Barlow's, Stamina, McMaster-Carr (for hardware, lexan for lips, stainless steel hardware), your local fabric shop, or Wal-Mart can supply material for scale patterns, not sure what it is called. Minnow nets can also be used for scale patterns. Hope this helps get you started.

David

thank you David, lots of good info here

I know that poes makes most their baits with cedar...however I am not sure if their are diff types, methods of drying etc...

If you check at the top of the page there is a tab labeled "resources" under there you can find a lot of tackle making suppliers.

thanks Boombah I'll check it out, but I still will ask my share of silly questions

Megan,

There is a local gentleman here that I've gotten to know over the years and he builds furniture for people. He always has scrap lumber laying around and he gives me as much as I need. He has everything -poplar, oak, maple, and cedar. Check around your area and see if you can find someone like that, they often don't need their scraps and they are happy to get rid of it.

jeremy