rlcam

Glitter in D2T

I want to put a little glitter in some paint colors,I normally don't care for the glitter but I want it in my Rootbeer and a few others.How do most of you do it,I have on occasion put it on a few by applying it on wet paint.I want to know if I can mix it in the D2T and it not have a rough finish.The glitter I have is very fine,but don't know if it will leave pits or bumps in the finish.And yes I am still using rattle cans,but I am about to get my shop wired so I can get to work in it.....Rob

Hi Rob

I apply glitter in 2 ways. First is via glitter rattle cans which after Christmas you can usually pick up cheap, the glitter is suspended in a clear quick drying medium (don't know what it actually is but it is solvent based similar to a laquer) and you need to shake the can a lot before applying, then cover with epoxy when dry. 2nd is I add to etex lite which is my chosen epoxy, I think you can do the same with D2T. When on the dryer the glitter sinks in the epoxy and you don't get any roughness at all, the glitter is under the epoxy not on top ;). You only need tiny amounts of glitter to get a very effective appearance.

@ ricam

I don't think , that glitter mixed right into the topcoat laquer would leave any pits and bumps , though I haven't done it before .

I think , that this much depends on the amount of glitter mixed into it , if it is not too much , the single flakes would be entirely surrounded by the paint and set well with it on the lure .

If there are more flakes in the laquer , they probably might stick together and make up for bumps on the surface .

I utilize a water-based glitter jelly , that I smear on the lure with my finger , this way I can do different colors at different locations , but this sometimes also leaves bumps , but I don't bother too much .

I guess , that these occur , when some particles come loose while brushing on epoxy , somehow bind upright between the other flakes and get epoxied in this position .

Guess , one could sand or better file(very fine small file) such spots smooth , and apply a second coat of pure epoxy , but haven't tried this before .

good luck :yay:, diemai

I would be concerned that the D2T wouldn't lay down as smooth with the glitter in it, unless you thinned it first. In that case, you'd have to put on a second, unthinned coat to really protect your lure.

If I were you, I might try another method.

Nathan B. suggested mixing fine glitter in Minwax Polyacrlic, and then applying it, before you top coat.

I've used this method, and it works well. I apply it with a brush, and can control where and how much. The fine glitter I got from a hobby store really sparkles, more than the spray glitter I had been using, and it doesn't change the colors, since the polyacrylic dries clear.

Edited by mark poulson

I just finished some baits where I added a fine glitter to D2T, just on the top of the lure. I mixed 2 batches. One with glitter, one w/o. I brushed on the glitter D2T first then added to the sides and bottom just plain D2T. Turned out nice, smooth and some added accent to the top part of my paint job. Pretty easy, looks good too.

Bassky

I exclusively use D2T for my epoxy coat and frequently add glitter, the amount depends on the finish I want to acheive. The only recommendations I have are to get the smallest glitter you can find and if you thin the epoxy with DNA or something else the glitter will float to the top a little. It usually isn't enough to worry about but you can take an exacto knife blade and skim it over the top to remove the texture. Works great and looks good.

I've never had any roughness when I just mixed fine glitter into the epoxy before clearcoating the bait. However, my favorite way is to use cheapo glitter paint (glitter suspended in clear acrylic latex). I thin it with water and apply it with a brush. That way, I can put glitter in the exact amount and in the exact places I want it.

Three ways I use it a lot.

1) Mixed with the D2T and uniformally all over the bait.

2) sprinkled over a separate area, like just the back

3) after puting D2T on the lure mix the glitter with a small amount of the D2T left over and use on just one small area.

The glitter moves in toward the bait as you turn it to dry, no thinning, no lumps.