jcheetam

Building Baits with Rosewood?

I have seen rosewood mentioned as an exotic wood in a couple threads when I did a search, but has anyone actually built, or tried to build, a bait using it? Since it is very dense and heavy, would that kill the action of the bait (since it isn't buoyant)? I have access to some scrap and was looking for pointers or suggestions from someone that has experience using it. Thanks!

Jeff

Thank you both re: the dust! Fortunately for me, my source is a custom musical instrument builder who uses the rosewood as the bars on his instruments. He has a full shop with all the bells and whistles, including a dust collection system and respirators. I'd hate to see how that dust would affect my asthma :eek:.

Mark- thanks for the tips on testing the wood with paint, sealer, etc. I would never have thought about it.

Rosewood hasa specific gravity of 0.88 (water = 1.00). This leaves very little room for manouvre with the ballast, in fact, once you have added the paint and hardware, it will more than likely sink.

You should all use a mask when using machines on wood, regardless of the wood type.

Dave