howieburger

Paint Booth Help?

I just about lost it reading Daves response, but that just about covers it. Good luck Howie, And welcome. Put a fan in the window to get started and break out the checkbook and credit cards. Oh and get started on the new garage to move your new hobbie into, and make it comfortable. If your married, you may be sleeping in there on occasion.

I guess that was a dumb question. Anything related to fishing is kind of like marriage. It would be cheaper, every seven years or so, to find a woman that can't stand you and buy her a house. So... let's say I'm not trying to save money, just time. Is there anyone out there that builds a nifty paint booth for air brushing lures?

Edited by howieburger

Spray Booths AVAILABLE AT AARDVARK CLAY & SUPPLIES INC.

Here is a link for the one I use the Sb2 is a great booth Its wide enough to paint 8 swimbaits at once I just ran a wire lengthwise across the the top and hang them from it. its a little pricey its worth it.. you can get it a lot cheaper if you do not go with the explosion proof squirrel cage fan about half $$$$$

K.C.

Edited by K.C.K.

You can definitely build one or less than that. Most guys aren't comfortable building them with anythi8ng other than an explosion proof blower. I used a furnace blower. As long as you build it so it moves enough air you'll never reach the fume concentrations you need to cause a problem.

If you're going to be using water based paints, even better. All you need to do is move enough air to keep the overspray from coming back out. Just get a strong bathroom fan, build a box to act as the booth, and cut a hole for the fan. You need to have a filter to trap the paint droplets. You don't even have to run ductwork outside.

You don't even have to run ductwork outside.

Never thought you could do it with no piping to outside.Are you saying if you have a filter on the fan,and you use waterbase paint that it will catch enough paint that it wont get all in your shop or wherever you paint.If so thats great I am going to build a booth when I get my shop finished and that will keep me from the extra work of running the pipes through of the wall...Rob

Never thought you could do it with no piping to outside.Are you saying if you have a filter on the fan,and you use waterbase paint that it will catch enough paint that it wont get all in your shop or wherever you paint.If so thats great I am going to build a booth when I get my shop finished and that will keep me from the extra work of running the pipes through of the wall...Rob

Unless you get a micron or hepa filter, you will always get some paint dust dispersed through the working area. If you do use one, then you'll probably only get a few baits before you have to change that $10-20 filter.

I don't give a hoot what anyone here says about fume concentration and ventilation. I've worked in paint and chemical factories my whole life and have seen how certified PERFECT systems ON PAPER still were able to have flash fires. Too many variables to go non-explosion-proof! Yeah, yeah, people cite the concentrations for acetone or whatever, but when you get solid particulate into the mix, it's a whole different story. Aluminum flake, depending on the particle size, can flash well below the threshold for many solvents. When you've seen the almighty black cloud moving toward you from a flash fire, you'll get a bit more respect! Been there, done that, and don't want to do it again!!! Go either with a belt-driven system, or an enclosed system with explosion-proof motors only if you're spraying flammables. Plenty of people will rip on me for this post with thier claim of no problems, and many will go their whole life without an issue, but the chance still remains. I choose not to play with fire and my families lives.

Edited by Downriver Tackle

I'll second that DT, I just started my 33rd year as a fire fighter and have seen them all, from spray shops to uncountable garage fires (we don't have basements here), usually it's not so much the spray booth going up, but all the paints, acetylene, L.P gas, spray cans, fibreglass boats etc, that are nearby that cause things to boogie. Saw dust and more so paint dust is a high explosive when flame disturbs it - you can make a good bomb out of saw dust!!!pete

I bought mine from a company in Michigan. They build large commercial spray booths and powder coating booths and ovens. They started building the smaller ones for fill in work and have ended up shipping them all over the place. They use a 12 inch tubeaxial fan which can be remote mounted if you like and they will build custom sizes with fan on the back or top and build downdrafts as well. They will build bench top or free standing. I was running out of room so I did a 36 inch wide benchtop. with two 18 inch deep panels. They are entirely made in the U.S.A and OSHA approved. It was $595.00 in 2/08 plus shipping. It works awesome and I spray automotive two part epoxy primers, urethane paints, and automotive two part clear. I am not affiliated in any way just happy with the purchase. The family owned company is JC Metal Fabrication 231-629 -0425 and John and Andy are the father/son team. http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/15411-heating-shop-safely.html#post113533 This a link to a picture in a previous post.

If you're spraying water based stuff, and can effectively keep the particles out of the fan, then, yes, you can build it without outside ventilation. The reason for venting stuff outside is because of dangerous fumes....there's none of that with any water based paint that's made to be sprayed. As for the filters...........Yes, it'll clog up a lot but you can get cheap pleated furnace filters, price depends on the size. You need to find the right balance between airflow, effectiveness, and length of time between replacements. To keep them good longer, build it so you can use a larger size than you need to just cover the fan, and keep the entire surface available for air to flow through. It leaves more surface available for filtering, which makes for more surface to clog. Also, it moves the air through more slowly and more paint will get caught in it.

One thing that you do have to worry about though is the air coming from the fan blowing other dust around.

For water based paints, I made mine in about 3 hours and it cost less than $20 using scrap materials around.

It has an exaust fan that blows into a 10# bag of charcoal through a dryer conduit. (behind the cardboard piece) Cost me about $8-$10 and handles light volatile things like acetone, laquer thinner or Dick Nites, and D2T fumes. Has a heat lamp to aid in drying and D2T application and plenty of dowel rods with paper clips to hang baits.

Doing it is the fun of it. Customizing it for yourself - priceless.

painting hood.jpg

painting hood.jpg

painting hood.jpg

painting hood.jpg

painting hood.jpg

painting hood.jpg

painting hood.jpg

painting hood.jpg

4074_thumb.attach

For water based paints, I made mine in about 3 hours and it cost less than $20 using scrap materials around.

It has an exaust fan that blows into a 10# bag of charcoal through a dryer conduit. (behind the cardboard piece) Cost me about $8-$10 and handles light volatile things like acetone, laquer thinner or Dick Nites, and D2T fumes. Has a heat lamp to aid in drying and D2T application and plenty of dowel rods with paper clips to hang baits.

Doing it is the fun of it. Customizing it for yourself - priceless.

That's a good looking setup. I am considering building something similar. I wanted to put a pleated filter at the back to catch the fumes. I mostly use waterbased paints. Would a shopvac be acceptable to pull the fume thru the filter? Or am I setting up for a hazard?

Edited by WannabeeFishing

Nice work. It looks to me like you might have trouble with fumes backing out though. That opening is really big, you might not have the air flowing fast enough through the opening to keep the fumes in. If your fan moves a ton of air, you could be fine. If you get some fumes coming back out, don't change the fan, just make that window smaller, and try to make it have a lip that sets back into the booth, on all sides. The smaller the window, the faster the air will flow, but if it's too small, the airflow will be too fast.

Your woodwork is very nice though.

The fan pulls 180 cfm and I am using a reducer before it vents out. I am starting out with water based paints, bought some Createx and ordered a selection from WASCO. I have been practicing with an old Badger gun and compressor I used in college but have ordered 2 PS900's and a new compressor from NBI along with God knows how much other stuff from everywhere else. When I walk into the house in the evening and my wife gives me "that look" and shakes her head I know more stuff just showed up in the mail or from UPS.

When I walk into the house in the evening and my wife gives me "that look" and shakes her head I know more stuff just showed up in the mail or from UPS.

I used to have one of those!

The booth looks great. Sitting down to work in front of a quality booth, nicely finished, should inspire you to do quality work.

Dave