Net Man

Feathered Hooks for top water baits

If you are going to tie your own hooks (which is a smart idea) there is no limitation to the variety of feathers and colors. Most commonly used (because of availability) are chicken feathers and crystal flash but you could use pheasant, quail, grouse, etc. Just remember feathers create drag so the bigger the feather the greater the drag. This is great for walk the dog baits but not so advantageous for crankbait.

About size-I personally believe natural products far out-perform synthetic material IN WATER. I think originally feathers were used in hardbaits to replicate the tail fins of prey species so if feathers are too long, it will not look natural to fish.

Take some scissors with you when you test the lures.

A 1/4" of length can make a big difference.

Generally, the shorter the feather, the less it will affect the walking action of a lure. I generally trim mine to about 1/2" past the treble, but it varies.

If the lure won't walk well, trim it a little, and try it again.

And remember, a little trim goes a long way. :wink:

I use strung neck hackle. It has a natural curl to it. Tie 2 feathers on top of each other curling away from the hook, in each of the 3 slots of the treble. Saddle hackle will lay down the shank of the hook and do nothing in the water. Neck hackle curls back in the water on the pause after forward motion has straightened it. Add what ever flash products to taste, but for abase- 6 strung neck hackle feathers.