radu

Lip Slot

hello,

i have a question about cutting the lip slots. i usually cut them before starting to shape the wood round, using an electric saw, just after cutting the rough shape of the lure. this way, my only care is to make sure the saw is perfectly square on the flat body. it was impossible for me to cut the lip slot in the rounded body.

did anyone try cutting the lip with a circular disk attached to a Dremel tool or using a thin drill with the Dremel, after the body is shaped? i feel it would save some time this way, but i think it is harder than using an electric saw because it is harder to position the body perfectly aligned and because one must use more the eye and hand than simply putting the lure on one side, and pushing it in the saw.

cheers

Radu,

I have been cutting them both before and after. Today I cut one after it was shaped and had no problem whatsoever. I trace the area to be cut out on one side of the bait. I then wrap the bait in a piece of soft cloth and put it into the vice on its side, pattern showing. Then with a jigsaw I simply make a straight cut along one side, then widen it by making a second cut. I finish the slot by using a file which allows me to visually align anything that wasn't cut perfectly straight, works fine.

Jed