elect1960

Weight for plugs

I was wondering what you guys are using for weight in your plugs. I am using lead sinkers. I mold them with a pair a pliers to fit a 1/4" hole I drill in my plugs. I am new at this and have not made a complete plug yet but I have alot of blanks made and Im waiting for my order of hardware to start putting them together.

I usually pour directly into the holes because I don't have any molds. What I've done recently though is drill (with a forstner bit) a variety of different diameter holes in a wooden block and fill these with the molten lead. I pop them out of the holes and re-use the wooden mold. I then have a variety of different sized weights to choose from.

I'm surprised that some of you guys actually take the time to melt lead to pour into the plugs, now that's dedication! I buy pencil lead which comes in rolls, cut off the section I need, drill the hole, and slide the piece in. If I didn't have pencil lead I would probably just use splitshot. Lead is easily shaped, you could take almost any sized weight and quickly hammer or squeeze (I use my leatherman) it into a configuration that meets the hole you have drilled.

Jed

Im using mojo weights you just have to drill the hole a bit bigger to get the wire thru the 1/4 oz fits a .25 hole perfect,however Im not familiar with pencil lead riverman though Im interested where would you buy something like that ? Sounds like a mojo weight minus the hole.

Vmaxx

Pencil lead is popular with the trout and salmon boys. A piece of pencil lead and surgical tubing and you have a nifty drop sinker that gets hung up less on the bottom. It's really just long, thin, cylindrical lead, very cool actually.

As to buying it...I'll leave that up to Riverman, I haven't bought any in years.