Firechief

Paint Questions for Newbee

I would like to know about brand name paints and what the advice the veterens and pro's would like to share. I like acylics for sure but what brands are better than others. Hobby has Createx, Folk Art, Anita's ect. Also Testors, Model Masters laqs. and some others were found at Hobby Town. And then I find these acrylics in a tube like toothpaste... can these be dilulted down for a sprayer? I have read about Auto Air and Smiths Wildlife so the list goes on ... well I guess you see where I am going. Painting with Bob Ross paints look too stupid to use and I aint never seen a fish colored like some of that stuff even in my dreams.

Patiently I shall await for some direction. :popcorn:

First off, Firechief, welcome to the forum. There's a lot to be learned here.

You can use the search function to look for existing threads.

Here's a recent one to get you started. I rambled a bit on my response, but maybe there's something in there you can use.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/15858-need-advice-starter-paint-set.html

Welcome to the obsession.

Gary

Chief - I use them all the time (tube), like anything though, you get what you pay for, especially when you get into pearls etc - Good quality gives you good colour fast colours and fine pigments that will not clog the air brush, so go for brands like 'Liquitex' JoSonja' etc. I have had some tubes for years, but I don't make very large lures either.pete

If you already set your mind to using arylics, then that is the way for you to go.

If you are interested in some pre mixed paints (commonly used in taxidermy) then try www.taxidermy.com. There you will find two brand names, that I recommend, Lifetones and Polytranspar. Both brands come in either water-based or laquer-based. These paints are pre-formulated and match baitfish colors very well. Great for starting out and later you can mix and formulate your own. These paints are ready to spray, right out of the squeeze bottles.

Best of Luck and there are no dumb questions. The only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.