RD14

New To TU. I need advice on an Airbrush

I love this site! Im wanting to get into painting some lures, what airbrush/accessories/ compressor do I need to buy? I can see from some of the photos on this site that some of you guys are bad to the bone with an airbrush. Thanks for the Help!

Do a search on airbrush and you should get a lot of links.

Here's a couple to get you started.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/15729-right-airbrush.html

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/15858-need-advice-starter-paint-set.html

Gary

Edited by WannabeeFishing

I have am Iwata HP+ SB and a Badger 100LGF and a Badger hobby style that I got from Michaels craft store. The hobby modle is only good for base coats.

Do a www.youtube.com search for airbrush techniques. There are both fishing lure and automotive techniques out there. They apply to anything you do. I really like the edHubbs stuf on youtube.

I am thinking of purchasing a video from amistadtackle.com He has a DVD dedicated to airbrushing fishing lures. I really like his drying rack in the background of the trailer.

I have am Iwata HP+ SB and a Badger 100LGF and a Badger hobby style that I got from Michaels craft store. The hobby modle is only good for base coats.

Do a www.youtube.com search for airbrush techniques. There are both fishing lure and automotive techniques out there. They apply to anything you do. I really like the edHubbs stuf on youtube.

I am thinking of purchasing a video from amistadtackle.com He has a DVD dedicated to airbrushing fishing lures. I really like his drying rack in the background of the trailer.

That's a cool trailer. The site says the DVD is sold out. In "In-Fisherman" also has a tackle making DVD.

https://store.intermediaoutdoors.com/shop/ItemDetail.aspx?item=1DIFTCT&

Gary

I have painted lures for many years, and have several automotive type "toner" or "touchup" spray guns that work excellently, and are only about $30 each. They are a breeze to clean, and you can get additional cups to store different colors in. This type of "mini spray gun" can spray a small amount (close to an airbrush) like lines and dots, too. Have fun, and if you need any wooden lure blanks to practice on, I sell these all over the world.... blankman

Edited by blankman
added info

I have painted lures for many years, and have several automotive type "toner" or "touchup" spray guns that work excellently, and are only about $30 each. They are a breeze to clean, and you can get additional cups to store different colors in. This type of "mini spray gun" can spray a small amount (close to an airbrush) like lines and dots, too. Have fun, and if you need any wooden lure blanks to practice on, I sell these all over the world.... blankman

I did a couple web searches. Those are nice looking guns. I had seem them before but didn't realize they were that accurate.

Gary

Gary, they are nice guns to use, and are accurate. I "water down" my paints (I use lacquers for color) for small work...spots and lines. I use Campbell Hausfelds toner guns, but there are several good ones on the market. You need to look for a few things when considering this type of spray gun. 1) is it all metal... no plastic! 2) can you buy extra cups for the gun. Also, does it have both a fan spray adjustment as well as an "amount spray" knob. The only stipulation is that you need an air compressor to use them. Not just a small airbrush compressor. These guns use too much air. I use a Craftsman 33 gallon... cost me about 280 bucks, but does the job very well for everything that I use, be it big spray guns, toner guns, air brushes, air orbital palm sanders (for use in making wooden lure blanks), etc... and it plugs into the wall socket at 120 volts. Oh, and I wanted to clear up my last reply. I don't sell the toner guns all over the world, just my lure blanks... sorry for any confusion. :)Todd