AlamOso

To coat, or not to coat?

I'm just curious about how many of you topcoat clear diving lips. I have done so in the past successfully, as long as the lip is preped as described at http://www.rivercitylures.50megs.com/make/how2/aaa/ch4/ch4.htm

I have both coated and not coated the lips of my lures. Under normal wear and tear conditions, I have had no problems with the top coat chipping or peeling from the lip. Now, subjected to destructive testing, of course the coat fails.

The topcoat helps hold the lip in, is an excellent scratch filler, and really adds to the lure appearance. But, perhaps this is an unnecessary step.

Has anyone else experimented with coating the lip? What is the opinion of the luremakers here?

AlamOso

I like to sand the lips flat on the cranks you buy unpainted...they're not so flat you you buy them. It is impossible to get them back to clear unless you clearcoat them! I'm worried about them chipping with abuse, but couldn't you clearcoat just the lure once, then sand the clearcoat lightly, and clearcoat the whole thing? Wouldn't this help prevent excessive chipping? My take is that the lip is clear under the water, with or without scratches...but customers on the other hand, don't like to see scratches... the debate goes on! I got nowhere! :lol:

AlamOso,

every time i used to clearcoat the lip (either with urethane clear or with with cellulose cement), it would peel off the lip (polycarbonate, sometimes acryl). i agree with the good sealing properties when it comes to scratches, but since it peeled off all the time, the solution for me was to come out with more clear and taken care of lips.

regards

radu