woodieb8

pvc board

Can't help you 'Woodie', I am in the same boat- Just managed to find a heap at the local plastics guy.

Try searching 'Celuka board', or 'expanded polyeurothane', you may find something- I think 'Fatfingers' and 'Mark Polson' have been using it for a while. pete

Is that the same material as "rigid PVC foam board"?

If so, I use it all the time. I make all my flat sided baits

out of it.

It cuts great and will hold an eyescrew as good as wood.

The problem is sanding, it hates sandpaper and sands very

hard. Carving is no problem either.

Edited by Coley

Scott,

That's very interesting. All of the "pure" PVC products I'm familiar with are, basically, plastics, like plastic pipe, plastic parts, etc.

I thought that, in order to get both the tensile strength and the light weight, AZEK was a mixture of PVC and a fiber of some kind.

It sure is great stuff, at least for lure making. :wink:

Mark

Mark,

AZEK is pvc board, there is no wood fiber in it, is is pure plastic. I sell it where I work, it was invented for the housing market for rot proof cornice material. Trex deck boards and similar material does have wood fiber and plastics in it, but AZEK is pure pvc.

Scott

So the simulated wood finish trim boards we find in home stores is made of AZEK?.

Besides lures, I'm getting into building rod racks and this looks like a good material to work with.

Gary

As most of you probably know, the PVC board and the sintra are not the same materials.

The PVC works great, but it does have a few disadvantages when compared to the sintra (which is a "sign board" material used by sign makers).

The PVC is a bit more brittle and is a bit more prone to chipping. I prefer the sintra, but is because I build for musky applications and don't want to risk chipping during the building process. The risk of chipping is small though overall.

Both have less buoyancy and bounce than a number of types of wood. It has a slighter duller action in the water. That is small trade off and the differences in action are negligible overall in my opinion.

As far as building a long-lasting bulletproof bait, both PVC and sintra are excellent. Both are slightly more difficult to work with in general. Both are a little tougher to sand, but for musky bait building applications that is a lesser consideration if you simply apply a coat of epoxy prior to painting.

I have quite a bit of the sintra in the basement now, but I have so many projects going on that I've sort of set it aside and having been using it as much as I'd like to. I did build a twitch bait from the sintra recently and it is nice to skip the sealing process and its nice to know that water will never penetrate the bait during even the harshest conditions.

Thank's Vince, I just found a supply, same as the piece you gave me. I found out last night that thinner based Prop is not the best sealer, should have known better - acetone Prop would make it disappear.

It seems to machine nice with a saw or router, but sanding is a bit different, and seems like a slow sander would be more appropiate ( and finer paper) as it builds up a fair bit of heat on the disc sander I have going at the moment.

I have been using a bit in the boat and it works very nice and appears to be on a par with timber, strength wise, and as Coley says "takes screws nicely too'- What's the appropiate glue for laminating 2 sheets togeather, is there a special glue for it, I'm thinking maybe plumbers glue???? pete

The manufactures rep told us in our sales meeting it was pure PVC, no wood fibers. In fact when used on a house in long runs (end to end joints) it MUST be glued together with their glue (pvc glue will work as they told us so, theirs does not yellow) because it will (and I have seen this first hand) shrink in the joints if not glued.

I just went out in the warehouse and looked at the stock we have, the Azek is stamped "Azek" on the ends and is smooth on both sides. We have another brand of PVC board in stock and it is "textured" on one side. I have seen this other brand of PVC board manufactured as it is made in my home town. The company who makes it also makes pvc pipe in the same building.

PH- Thank you for this, I have seen the decking here, seem's much harder, never heard of the siding, but there will be someone banging on the door selling it soon I'm sure, siding is not a big seller here though. I'm sold on this white board (whatever the brand), they are using it in boat decks a bit now, but I have my reservations about weather it will stand up to the heat. Made a lure out of it yesterday, seems to have pluses and minuses, the big minus for me is it shows sanding marks, and on a small lure a little mark is BIG, but I'll get around it, I hope

! !pete

Ive been reading the posts on this and it really has the gears in my head turning. Is pvc board available at Menards, Home Depot or Lowes or do I need to go to a specialty store? Last spring my boss added a raised casting deck to the bow of his boat using something similar to this but it was hollow inside. He did mention they had a solid version available but he wanted to keep the weight down. Both types he looked at had alot of texture to the sides and was a brownish orange in color. I'm not sure if this is the same stuff you guys are talking about here. He purchased it at Menards.

Also, can pvc board be turned in a wood laithe or is that asking for an autoeject to the face.:drool:

Thanks, John

esox I don't know if it will turn on a lathe or not. I found a "scrap" piece in the warehouse this morning to play with in the shop. I thought of turning it, but my first reaction is it will not. The reason I think this is the outside has a hard coating, and the inside is sort of "foamy" (for a lack of a better word. Is it just me, I can tell you anything, but try and type it on here and can't get it out?) and I think it will just go to crap. I am going to try tho, I'll post results.

You should be able to buy at Home Depot, I work at an Ace Hardware with a lumber yard, so we stock some. Be aware of sticker shock tho, it ain't cheap.

Also beware, and this is not important in lure building, but it is not structural, it must be supported by something else. The product your friend used for his deck (hollow on the inside) IS a product used for decks (it is a different product for different usage, and it contains wood fibers)

Hope this helps,

Scott