seafoam

Eye screw???

Foamy, Not to preclude Kellure's generous offer, but it's easy to twist up your own screw eyes from ss wire. IMO, the advantage is you can customize wire size/length of the screw to suit the particular bait, plus hand twisted screws have more glue surface than tapered screw eyes. I can see the attraction of factory built screw eyes if you build in high volume but if you're a hobby builder, hand twisted is a useful alternative.

Foamy, Not to preclude Kellure's generous offer, but it's easy to twist up your own screw eyes from ss wire. IMO, the advantage is you can customize wire size/length of the screw to suit the particular bait, plus hand twisted screws have more glue surface than tapered screw eyes. I can see the attraction of factory built screw eyes if you build in high volume but if you're a hobby builder, hand twisted is a useful alternative.

How do you do that?

:popcorn:

Kellure,Thanks for the generous offer,need about a dozen of them though.Do you sell them?I need a 1"screw,a coarse thread would be great but everyone that sells them seem to sell a standard thread size and do not have a choice between a coarse thread or fine thread screw.

Bobp are you talking about the through wire method?you have my attention ,If your talking about making a actual screw with SS wire I really have no idea on how to accomplish this,care to elaborate more?currently I'm working on 6 top water wood plugs .

21xdc thanks for that link,looks like they have about everything there....cool site.

Edited by seafoam

IPOCK, I use the method illustrated in SmokeyJ's link. You can adjust the diameter of the eye by using different size drill bits clamped in the vise. I often use .031" bright stainless steel wire or, for crawfish pattern baits, coffee colored Malin Hard Wire stainless leader wire in .029" diameter. It makes a nice "stealth" hanger. I like the method for 3 reasons: you can customize the size/color of the screw eye, it makes a screw eye that's easy to mount a split ring onto, and I don't have to stock screw eyes. It takes me about 30 mins to whip up a batch of screw eyes and line ties for 6 baits, so it's not something a volume custom builder would necessarily favor. I use the same method when making baits that have the line tie out on the lip, just make the shank of the screw eye as long as needed.