highwayman

larry dahlberg making hard bait

I just saw Hunt For Big Fish where Larry makes a mold from an old lure then makes a new one.This is probably old hat for most of you guys but I was fastenated with how it all works.I've heard the product names like Alumilite,Foamy and quick acting plastic but seeing how it all comes together was cool.Where do you get the stuff?mail order?

Check www.Smooth-on.com and www.alumilite.com. These products are "the same but different":lol:. Search the forum to read the several threads on the pros and cons of each.

Here are a couple to get you started.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/15976-casting-pu-featherlite-delicate-parts.html

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/15915-featherlite-vs-alumilite.html

I saw another THFBF episode where Larry carved a swimbait he calls Mr. Wiggley from a chunk of modelers clay and then made a mold and cast a softbait from it. He used a bicycle spoke to make it a spinnerbait. It was a cool show.

Gary

Larry developed the Dahlberg Diver, a pretty famous and well known and sold/used underwater fishing fly. Since his fly tying days he has gone on TV and fishes all over the world.

I too thought his show was interesting, but not for reasons mentioned. His bait molding/casting/painting did not seem nearly as advanced as most of the guys do right here on TU. "I'll just eyeball where to mount my hooks." and "I'll just guess where to drill in this mold box where to put my wire." But maybe it was the huge lure he was making for low pressured fish in South America. Perhaps if he had to make something to catch big fish in high pressured North America he would be more eloquent and precise with his lure making.

Did you see his shop? Wow! What tools! What set ups! The diversity of stuff he had was amazing! I'm envious!

Did you see how he modified that big rod to reduce torque and casting fatigue? He ADDED weights in the handle to reduce torque at the tip.

I'd like to see a show of his where he showed off his tools and fixtures and jigs.

John

What was the name of the buoyancy additive he used and where do you find it ? He did say he would drive all you engineer types crazy with his eyeball technique
It was micro bulb filler or some call it micro spheres. Its tiny glass spheres added to the mix A and B to add bouancy.

I've been a big fan of Larry Dahlberg's for a long time, he is definitely an extraordinary fisherman. His dedication to exploring every avenue to catch big fish knows no bounds, and he never takes the easy way out, but accepts every challenge, ignoring the discomforts brought on by marginal travel conditions, bad weather, food, and "don't drink the water" water in his quests.

He also comes by his passion for lures and tackle the same way many of us here at TU have: Not satisfied with some aspects of what's available commercially, he goes to his shop to develop lures etc, that measure up to his personal standards. Very, very cool! I always look forward to his next adventure.

His website also has a lively discussion board, and he participates often when not engaged in hand to hand combat with some huge finny creature which has engulfed a homemade Mr. Wiggley in some remote jungle river, where modern tackle might seldom be used...

For me, his show is the fastest 30 minutes on TV! :yay::yay:

Dean

I caught this episode also. The fact that he was just eyeballing things and guessing where to hang the hooks is, I think a case of "he's done this many times before". I did like the fact that he was pretty care free about the whole deal. If it didn't work he'd make another one. You could tell he was having fun and the passion was there to make, modify and build baits. Great show.

– bob

Edited by bbduc

I've always loved his shows. I admire the guy for taking a passion and making a show and a career out of it. He seems pretty down to earth.

I love watching him when he does his peacock bass episodes. One day I would love to fish for those things.

That he builds only increases my admiration for the guy.

The best thing I noticed aboot his show is the lack of advertisements. The only thing I ever hear aboot is Shimano and Jack Links, thats it, and those arent too often. If compared to Roland (Mr Advertisement) its pretty cool to see the lack of. I understand the ad thing completely, I'm just saying its a nice change to the way lots of the shows repeat companies over and over and over and over.........SONNNNNN!!!:lol:

here is a cut and paste for his show schedule on versus:

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

2:00PM - 2:30PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

TBDFriday, February 27, 2009

11:30AM - 12:00PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

8:00PM - 8:30PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

8:30PM - 9:00PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

Columbia peacock bass

Larry travels to columbia looking for a big peacock bass.Friday, February 27, 2009

11:00PM - 11:30PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

11:30PM - 12:00AMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

Columbia peacock bass

Larry travels to columbia looking for a big peacock bass.Saturday, February 28, 2009

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

TBDMonday, March 02, 2009

4:00AM - 4:30AMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

TBDWednesday, March 04, 2009

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

TBDThursday, March 05, 2009

7:00PM - 7:30PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

TBDFriday, March 06, 2009

2:00AM - 2:30AMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

4:00PM - 4:30PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

8:00PM - 8:30PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

8:30PM - 9:00PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

Seychelles Islands Trevally

While stalking bonefish, Larry runs into the toughest customer he's ever encountered on the flats, a fish called the Giant Trevally.Friday, March 06, 2009

11:00PM - 11:30PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

11:30PM - 12:00AMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

Seychelles Islands Trevally

While stalking bonefish, Larry runs into the toughest customer he's ever encountered on the flats, a fish called the Giant Trevally.Saturday, March 07, 2009

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

TBDMonday, March 09, 2009

4:00AM - 4:30AMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

TBDWednesday, March 11, 2009

HUNT FOR BIG FISH

TBDThursday, March 12, 2009

7:00PM - 7:30PMarrow.gifHUNT FOR BIG FISH WITH LARRY DAHLBERG (TV-G)