Air Raid

Molding Crankbait Bills

13 posts in this topic

Just seeing what would be the best way to mold a crankbait bill. Like a bill that goes into the Poes Cranks. I want a mold that will last.

I'm sure this has been posted here but I can't find it. A link to a discussion on this would work.

Molding a lip wouldnt be that tough, what is tough is finding a durable casting material that is clear.

Thats why most are injected from high impact thermoplastics or cut or stamped from polycarbonate (lexan)

I've tried casting lips from Epoxy & clear polyester resin years ago. way too brittle.

Well, if its a modern wooden rapala, they'll glue in a injection molded plastic lip.

If its a plastic bait, the bill is part of the entire lure body mold, injected as 2 body halves (left & right) then sonic welded or glued together.

While I've got you here, are you sharing a PC with another TU member?

I ask because the site is telling me you are posting under 2 different usernames.

Yes, I'm talking about something like a Rapala where the bill is molded then inserted into a wooden bait. You said it is hard to get it clear. What kind of plastic do companies like Rapala use to inject into their molds?

I live with Thad. We go to school together and share the hobby of lure building. He is the one that showed me this site.

They use a high impact thermoplastic like polycarbonate or high impact acrylic. it comes in pellet form, its melted into a liquid state, then injected into metal molds to cool.

I'd venture to say Rapala does not do this in-house, they likely outsource that process to a supplier.

You can check the supplier directory here to find diving bills ready for purchase, or you can make your own:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hardbait-how/13549-polycarbonate-lexan-lip-former.html

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hardbait-how/12155-compound-bending-lexan.html

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hardbait-how/5192-kb-how-make-your-own-lips.html

Or some search results:

Tackleunderground - Search Forums

Edited by redg8r

I live with Thad. We go to school together and share the hobby of lure building. He is the one that showed me this site.

Understood. Welcome aboard.

I remember coming across a company on the internet at one time that did this stuff but I can't find them now. They did the injecting for some bigger lure companies but have no idea what the site was now. It was American too.

Great link Jerry, I might have a closer look at those 'Rapala' like blanks. Thanks pete