rclark12

swimbait lure eyes/ hook hangers

When I did some casting, I did exactly that. I molded a line where the lip was to be cut. Molding a pip for the hardware is a good idea, ensuring that your baits are repeatable.

As for screw eyes, Mounting them in the mold will be difficult as they have no support. Would be much easier to mount a wire harness, as it will have at least three points of contact with the mold.

I preferred to drill the holes after casting. I do not think you can fit screw eyes as you would with wood, with a smaller hole then screw in. The cast material is very hard and a bit brittle, could cause problems with the threads breaking or even fracturing the body. I could be wrong on this.

I would prefer to drill a hole so that the screw was a sliding fit and fill the hole with epoxy or similar.

So that the epoxy plug cannot pull out, someone suggested widening the internal portion of the hole, forming a wedge, by angling the drill. Apart from the wedge, this will also rough up the internal surface, giving the epoxy more grip.

These are good questions and deserve a few more replies.

Dave

Maybe if you were to use a two peice mold you could notch a spot out on the center of each mold and that should be enough suport for a screw eye. The are some videos out there on two peice molds. Try looking around on this site FreemanSupply.com - Mold Making, Casting Resin, & Foundry Materials

I have ordered the sample pack, man they got a lot of nice stuff.