TightLinez

Rotisserie Motor HELP!!!

I've looked at Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, ebay, and a few other places for the right motor for my lure turner. I bought one from ebay, but it's only 1rpm and it's too slow for my liking. If anybody has a 3-7rpm motor or can get one, please let me know. I would love to buy it off you. Thank you in advance for your help.:worship:

They are usually readily available on ebay (microwave motors) in various RPM ranges, I have a 2.5 - 4 - 5 and 6 rpm, 5 or 6 seem to be the best. I think a lot of guys over there buy rotisserie motors from Walmart, maybe do a search, as there has been a lot of posts on this subject.Or you could always sneak into the kitchen and remove one from the microwave oven, takes about 5 min, just roll it over and undo 2 screws and disconnect the 2 wires and you are away -then just say it's worn out, and she can buy a new one!!. They are only good for smaller lures though. pete

Edited by hazmail
Add text

WalMarts is a seasonal item. They had none when I went there. They should be getting some in soon for the season. Mine is a "Universal" rotissorie. It 2 rpms and works just fine. Maybe a faster one would be better, But have seen no issures at 2 rpms.

Did you time/count yours running?

I use a 1 rpm rotisserie motor from Walmart, and it works great for any epoxy, etc. For years I thought it was faster, until I actually timed it. If your E-tex drips from lures turning 1 rpm, then you've applied too thick to the lure. I've never needed a faster motor for any of the clearcoats often discussed here at TU.

Dean

I'm like Dean, I use a 1 rpm motor for my drying wheel. :yes:

Whether or not it works for you may depend on your drying wheel design.

I made a Ferris wheel-type drying wheel, with two 14" diameter plywood discs mounted on the rotisserie shaft, separated about 16" (I can vary the spacing), and lined on their inner faces with matching screw eyes.

I suspend my lures between the two discs, pretty close to the outside of the discs' diameter, so the actual speed of the lure as it's turning is faster than if it were mounted directly to the shaft.

I built my wheel this way because I make larger lures, and can put many on the wheel at once, depending on how ambitious I'm feeling that day. :wink:

Mark

I have a set up similar to yours. I use a rotisserie motor but haven't timed the rotation, so I can't address specific speed, but I want to address the distance from the shaft vs speed lure is turning.

I don't think it matters if your lure is right on the rotisserie motor shaft or 16" away from the shaft. If it is a direct drive set up the lure will still only turn 1 rpm if the motor is turning 1 rpm. It may be travelling a greater distance but it is still only turning over once a minute.

I'm not lurking just to pounce on what I percieve as errors, as I have seen lately [see Fish_N_Fool knot ], it's just the original post questioned the speed of the lure dryer.

By the way my dryer works great at rotisserie motor speed.:yay:

Dave

I use a small 4 rpm Micro Yang timing motor that's lasted for 4 yrs and counting. Small motors can have surprising torque and I wouldn't hesitate to use one from a microwave turntable. I regularly turn 6 oz of baits on mine (it has 6 clips). For me, 4 rpm is perfect. Fast enough to stop any finish migration and just slow enough that I can clip lures on while it's running. But anything 1-6 rpm will work fine.

BTW, I checked "timing motor" on Ebay. The first auction is for a 110v 4 rpm rod drying motor at a "buy it now" price of $10.95+shipping. Not too shabby.

Edited by BobP

Yeah mine is definitely 1rpm. I use Etex, but I'd feel more comfortable using a faster motor. Well, the search continues! :|

Thanks.

:huh:I currently have 10 lures turning, at 1 rpm, all with E-tex (undercoat). I have to admit, I really don't understand how or why a faster rotation would make me more comfortable, but if I thought it would alleviate back spasms, I'd sure try it today.

Dean :)

I also use a rotisserie motor that I purchased at Home Depot. If they do not have them in stock you can buy them online from Home Depot. I am unsure at the speed it turns but have never really cared as it works great on both etex and D2T. I cut out two large plywood discs and drilled holes on the outer edge that I have attached to the rod. I also have numerous dowels with alligator clips attached. I will put my lure/piece in the clip at the beginning to paint it and have another piece of wood with numerous holes drilled that I use at my paint station. When I am done painting I will clear coat and throw on the drying wheel. I never have to remove the lure from start to finish off the dowel and it makes it very handy.

:huh:I currently have 10 lures turning, at 1 rpm, all with E-tex (undercoat). I have to admit, I really don't understand how or why a faster rotation would make me more comfortable, but if I thought it would alleviate back spasms, I'd sure try it today.

Dean :)

It's kind of a safety measure. I might apply too much Etex or it might be warmer than usually and want to run more. It's just a personal preference.....

Thanks BobP- I'll check it out. :yay:

Dave,

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

What I thought I was saying, or what I wanted to say, was that, with the lures mounted farther out from the shaft and making a bigger circle, the distance they travel on each revolution is longer, so they are actually traveling faster, but still only making 1 rpm.

Mark

I have a set up similar to yours. I use a rotisserie motor but haven't timed the rotation, so I can't address specific speed, but I want to address the distance from the shaft vs speed lure is turning.

I don't think it matters if your lure is right on the rotisserie motor shaft or 16" away from the shaft. If it is a direct drive set up the lure will still only turn 1 rpm if the motor is turning 1 rpm. It may be travelling a greater distance but it is still only turning over once a minute.

I'm not lurking just to pounce on what I percieve as errors, as I have seen lately [see Fish_N_Fool knot ], it's just the original post questioned the speed of the lure dryer.

By the way my dryer works great at rotisserie motor speed.:yay:

Dave

My wife just brought home one from Meijer @ $24. Seems like it has a slower speed than the last one. Fit right on the old mount. Looks like a 2 rpm speed. I use Etex so I will have to see. Maybe a thinner coat. Going to try some balsa lures, never tried that wood. Slot in the belly for the wire, that i learned here.:worship: