tightliner

stencil for uniform stripes help?

20 posts in this topic

HI guys! 70 degrees in leavenworth kansas today, wow! Hey I was wondering if anyone could give me help for painting stripes on a bait such as a blue gill pattern with scale in the stripe.And, I was wanting to know the best way to paint fairly close stripes on a lure like on some old bagleys that don't look stenciled. My hands are a little shakey and free hand is out of the question. I do use an airbrush. Thanks for anything you have in advance. Ed

Experiment with different sizes/types of combs or pics. I tried out about 6 of them until I finally found the one I like. Sometimes you can't just look at the comb and tell what size the stripes will be. It might turn out different when you actually spray through it. ;)

tightliner,

to recreate that old Bagley's look in stripes I paint the bait until it is time to apply the stripes. Then before applying I spray a thin coat of Polyurathane and let it dry overnight. Some folks here use polyacrylic and other water based sprays with a quicker drying time.

Anyway, once dried, I use very thin masking tape to tape on the stripes....... You can find various widths at hobby stores, retailers on line or of course Ebay...... Once the tape is in position then spray the stripes.... swipe it once or twice with a hair dryer then remove the tape...... Perfect stripes every time, your paint job is protected, and you don't need a steady extra hand.............

Hope this helps..........

BJ

Got a Dollar Store around? Go by a whole pack of various combs for 1$.

Here is a couple of example sunfish baits where I used a comb that I kept 2 teeth, broke 1 out, kept 1 tooth broke one out, kept 2 teeth...... So give the comb method a try and experiment with comb size and number of teeth you use.

76gator-albums-man-fun-stuff-picture126-basswood-top-water-lexan-face.jpg

76gator-albums-repaints-picture95-dscn1723x.jpg

There is a new tutorial that is just about ready to be published by birdman that shows a good method of making repeatable paint stencils. The nice thing is that after you've made them, they should last a while.

Hang in there...

I "borrowed" a scrapbooking stencil from my wife. Actually, I borrowed most of them :lol:. The ones she had work well for doing stripes, along with other details.

These comb patterns look cool , gotta give it a try as well with my rattle cans !

Thanks guys for sharing:yes: !

@ 76gator

Dollar stores are cool(OK , over here they are called 1-Euro-Shop) , have already got some nice Aluminium tape there for foiling and unbelievable 24 pieces packs of disposable plastic brushes , exellent for topcoating .

After having tried these first , on next occasion I've bought out the entire stock of these from that particular shop , won't have to worry about brushes for some years:):lol: .

greetz :yay:, diemai

Holy cow. A comb. I've been bald so long, it never occured to me to use one. Those baits look great. Breaking out a few of the teeth is a really cool idea.

Gary

The previously mentioned, a Member Submitted Tutorial on Hardbait Stencils, by Birdman, was just posted. It makes good use of old plastic milk cartons... I would recommend making extra blank stencils so when a new paint scheme comes to mind, you're ready to go.:yay:

I just wanted to thank all you guys for the advice! I have never found a better web sight or a better group of people to help with this wonderful hobby I enjoy so much. Thanks again guys!:)

@ KcDano

Bought such on a supermarket special sale the other day , haven't used it since for lure shaping.............now I know , what's it good for:) !

thanks a lot :yes::yay:, diemai

I did use it once to make a couple of baits uniform. At varying degrees around the bait, But it does work good for stripes

@ Mr.J.

Also a very cool idea , might try that one as well:yes: !

But if my wife should need it one day................can't put it back in the kitchen drawer sprayed in colors:huh::huh::pissed: !!!

Better go buy one:?;) , greetz :yay:, diemai

I don't have any pics of the results but I use a spatula

Now I like this one! :yay: I like my sunfish but for most blue gill I use a pic and would like to have an even wider version. Well now I do!

Get the metal ones at the dollar store

You can bend the metal ones and have it line up with your lure very easily

Glad I could help :yeah:

@ Mr.J.

Thanks again about that tip , might even find it cheaper at those fleamarkets that my wife is always dragging me to on weekends:wink: .

greetz:yay: , diemai