tightliner

stencil for uniform stripes help?

HI guys! 70 degrees in leavenworth kansas today, wow! Hey I was wondering if anyone could give me help for painting stripes on a bait such as a blue gill pattern with scale in the stripe.And, I was wanting to know the best way to paint fairly close stripes on a lure like on some old bagleys that don't look stenciled. My hands are a little shakey and free hand is out of the question. I do use an airbrush. Thanks for anything you have in advance. Ed

tightliner,

to recreate that old Bagley's look in stripes I paint the bait until it is time to apply the stripes. Then before applying I spray a thin coat of Polyurathane and let it dry overnight. Some folks here use polyacrylic and other water based sprays with a quicker drying time.

Anyway, once dried, I use very thin masking tape to tape on the stripes....... You can find various widths at hobby stores, retailers on line or of course Ebay...... Once the tape is in position then spray the stripes.... swipe it once or twice with a hair dryer then remove the tape...... Perfect stripes every time, your paint job is protected, and you don't need a steady extra hand.............

Hope this helps..........

BJ

Got a Dollar Store around? Go by a whole pack of various combs for 1$.

Here is a couple of example sunfish baits where I used a comb that I kept 2 teeth, broke 1 out, kept 1 tooth broke one out, kept 2 teeth...... So give the comb method a try and experiment with comb size and number of teeth you use.

76gator-albums-man-fun-stuff-picture126-basswood-top-water-lexan-face.jpg

76gator-albums-repaints-picture95-dscn1723x.jpg

These comb patterns look cool , gotta give it a try as well with my rattle cans !

Thanks guys for sharing:yes: !

@ 76gator

Dollar stores are cool(OK , over here they are called 1-Euro-Shop) , have already got some nice Aluminium tape there for foiling and unbelievable 24 pieces packs of disposable plastic brushes , exellent for topcoating .

After having tried these first , on next occasion I've bought out the entire stock of these from that particular shop , won't have to worry about brushes for some years:):lol: .

greetz :yay:, diemai