JBlaze

a different hinge

Not finished yet but getting there. I am struggling with making hinges, my first attempt is smaller than this one and is still on the bench waiting for a Hazmail DNA hinge. This one is my second attempt and has a little different hinge. As you can see, I made loop eyes in the first section and dropped buzz bait rivets into them then formed a harness/pin for the second section. there is very little end play and the lateral movement is quite free with no binding. I also liked the idea of Herwin and DickMac's twister jerks so I sawed the back off a little shorter and inserted a SS cork screw to connect the grub. Will post a pic in gallery when it is finished.

P1300001a.jpg

P2120024a.jpg

P1300001a.jpg

P2120024a.jpg

P1300001a.jpg

P2120024a.jpg

P1300001a.jpg

P2120024a.jpg

P1300001a.jpg

P2120024a.jpg

P1300001a.jpg

P2120024a.jpg

P1300001a.jpg

P2120024a.jpg

P1300001a.jpg

P2120024a.jpg

4152_thumb.attach

4153_thumb.attach

This is/was my first attempt at making a swimbait. I wanted the first hinge to be hidden and there wasn't much room inside this thing for installing a workable hinge. I dont think there is any hope of hiding the hinge on the second joint due to the small surface area between the sections. Mark Poulson made a couple of suggestions and I decided to go his way with two twist pins and a thin tail. I tried over and over to make a hinge that would fit inside the front cavity and be strong and stable. I was unsuccesful. I finally gave up on it and started attempt #2 which is shown in the above posts, it is a little bit larger swimbait. I also decided that maybe hiding the hinge might be better left for the experts. When Pete Hazmail came up with his DNA hinge, I realized that this would be the perfect hinge for fitting inside the small cavity of my first swimbait. #1 because it is strong #2 it is very stable with almost no end play #3 it is non-binding and #4 it can be made to any length that you wish. So, I went back to working on swimbait #1 and Pete's hinge. Now I have two swimbaits about half cooked. It was real tricky not getting epoxy on the hinge when gluing the two halves together. I used a small craft brush with most of the bristles cut off around the hinge cavity . (Thanks Pete, I'm going to like your hinge it lends itself well for fitting to a split bait). I was so excited about fitting the DNA Hinge inside this thing that I forgot to put a hook hanger in the second section. Hopefully, when I finish up the first section, I will not have made the same error or it will be completely useless. The body is balsa sealed with wood hardner and the tail is made from circuit board. The bait is waterproofed but I havn't tub tested it for ballasting yet.

Will post more as they develop.

John

Jerka.jpg

Jerkb.JPG

Jerkd.jpg

Jerka.jpg

Jerkb.JPG

Jerkd.jpg

Jerka.jpg

Jerkb.JPG

Jerkd.jpg

Jerka.jpg

Jerkb.JPG

Jerkd.jpg

Jerka.jpg

Jerkb.JPG

Jerkd.jpg

Jerka.jpg

Jerkb.JPG

Jerkd.jpg

Jerka.jpg

Jerkb.JPG

Jerkd.jpg

Jerka.jpg

Jerkb.JPG

Jerkd.jpg

4162_thumb.attach

4163_thumb.attach

4164_thumb.attach

@ JBlaze

John , thanks a lot about sharing the proceedial of your swimbaits , I always find such posts very interesting :yes:!

Just two days ago I have rigged a jointed topwater lure with rather unusual wire harnesses , also I forgot to bend hookhangers onto them out of excitement solving my problems with it , and had to do them again:huh::lol: !

greetz , Dieter

JBlaze ur bait is bombproof! I love the way you rigged your bait through wire! The DNA hinge is quite intriguing too. I'm curious, with that hinge style would that lure get the infamous squeek that is so desired on buzzbaits? It has to make some major commotion comming through the water.

Amazing....just amazing, a few hours a go I was working on the same thing....hinges, and i was thinking "hmm:?.....maybe I find Some stuff on TU"

I have one thing to ask.

If you put the second hook on the middel pice...all the sterss from the attack is ont the first hinge, Ithink that the first method for the hinge is more safe.....

Here is what i think of this

Hope that you dont get upset at me for copying your photo :rolleyes:

P1300001ab.JPG

P1300001ab.JPG

P1300001ab.JPG

P1300001ab.JPG

P1300001ab.JPG

P1300001ab.JPG

P1300001ab.JPG

P1300001ab.JPG

4169_thumb.attach

In order to save yourself a lot of time, you can use twisted stainless wire to make eye screws. Even a screw made only an inch long has more than enough strength (if your using epoxy). However, if you've got room to make them longer go for it. I haven't had any problems with doing this yet with my bluegills. I've had more issues with having strong enough split rings than having the bait come apart... which I suppose is a good thing in a bittersweet way;) just my :twocents:

Just thought of this, if your lure is a balsa bait I would stick with the through wire. If its any other wood, this method will work fine.

Dieter, it's exciting isn't it. Can't wait for more time to work on these. Hope you post a pic of yours soon.

A-Mac, Thanks for the compliment.

About the DNA Hinge, The credit for this hinge belongs to Pete Hazmail from Australia. This hinge was invented by Pete. He posted a pic and description of it in the hard baits gallery. I was very intrigued by it and set about to try and make it. I think it is the perfect hinge for a split bait. Easy to install and align although I did get this one in just slightly off verticle. I can correct it by bending the wires to be glued in the front section up or down as needed.

I don't know about that squeak from the DNA hinge. Pete also thought that it might squeak but said he couldn't hear it . Neither can I but I dont have any ballast in it yet.

HellRAISER, I don't mind at all your copying the picture it makes your suggestion easy to understand. Actually, that was my original plan because it would distribute the load to both hinges. I changed my mind at the last minute and sawed the end off and put the corkscrew in it for the grub instead.

A-Mac, they are Balsa the smaller bait has the stainless twisted eyes in the rear section. I trust them, I have never had one pull out of a balsa crankbait.

V-Man, sometimes we think alike. This is about the only way I can remember what I have done. Write it down and take a pic. My work area is a cluttered mess. I started a note book but can never find it when I need it. I always know where my computer is so looking at a folder with pics and notes seems to work best for me.

Thanks Everyone for the interest in this. I hope to have more on it in a few days.

John

If you are using a soft wood like balsa a hinge like you have designed is probably good since you are running it "through-wire". For most swimbaits though it seems to me that using a harder wood and some easier type of hinge mechanism would save time and ultimately provide just as much reliability.

If you are interested John there is a pictured I posted of a hinge I have used in the past at th is thread..........bottom of page 2.

RM

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/hard-baits/7919-epoxy-finish-hinged-baits-2.html

Edited by RiverMan

Hey guys, I finally finished this thing. took it to the lake yesterday and once again, I have a dud. It won't swim. It is the one at the top of the pic. I think from what I have learned in the last few weeks, it has something to do with body shape maybe. I think I will put a bib in it just to see what happens.

The swimbait in the middle of the pic swims with a perfect S motion at slow or fast retrieve. It wakes the surface at a slow speed and and stays down about 3 or 4 inches at a faster retrieve. It is my first swimbait that does what it is supposed to do. It Swims:-)

John

Tackleunderground Home - Luremakers Photo Gallery - a couple more

Edited by JBlaze

@ JBlaze

Never mind , John ,... in our case , I guess , half success may still be considered a good success , even if that bait doesn't swim well !

You still have the bill option , and even if that one should fail(been there , done that) , you still have learned a lot from it !

That is the big advantage of luremaker's rejects over rejects in any commercial production plants ,...... these only cost money and trouble , our rejects most likely still provide priceless knowledge and experience !;);):lol::lol:

good luck , Dieter:yay: