keith combs

paasche vl airbrush help

I have just acquired a paasche vl airbrush but can not get the needle out of the brush, the original owner said it had been used about 8 times for "spray on tan" then put up not cleaned for about a year :eek:. What I have done is taken it apart all but the needle, cleaned with denatured alcohol, pulled hard on needle :lol: no luck.

Completely submerged in windex for about 3 hours, no luck.

What I have to clean with is acetone,denatured alcohol and windex.

The paper work that was with it says any paint cleaner is fine to use. what do I need to do?

Thanks for any help. Keith

BTW, It looks brand new in box with all paper work.

Assuming you loosened the needle nut as parrothead suggested, I would take off the air cap and try to get solvent in from that end as well. This will help dissolve and lubricate were you can get paint build up on the needle, sometimes material will dry on the needle and make it more difficult to pull through the seal. Be careful not to damage the exposed needle tip when the aircap is off. Do not scrape or scratch old material off of the needle use a rag and solvent. Scratches or rough spots on the needle will be hard on the seal. When I am finished painting I always pull the needle out for cleaning to prevent that problem. You can also buy small brushes that will pass through the bore and seal area to keep the gun clean. The Vl will make you a great all around airbrush.

I,m sorry I should have explained better I have taken the complete needle valve assembly off also the air cap body and air cap off all that is left is the main body and trigger and needle of course, it has now been in windex completely submerged for about 5 hours no luck with needle. I think the only place the needle is left touching the main body of brush is as it goes threw the Teflon packing and packing nut. As mentioned in first post it was only used for "spray on tan" it has never had paint in it. I know nothing about this tan spray it had been a year with this left in it to dry.

thanks, Keith

I was just recently given antiher airbrush as well. Kinda had the same problem. The previous owner bent the needle tip a bit a it stuck through the tip. So I had to take the burr of so I wouldn't ruin the spray tip. I still couldn't get it out. I ended up pulling it out with pliers. Evidently when they shoved the needle back in, it must have been bent up badly, cause when I pulled it it out it look like a half eclipse. They was noway I could get it out by hand. I ended up buying a new needle and straightened the old one, plus I took care of the burr with 400 & 800 grit wet sand paper. Old needle works fine now. Maybe you have a similar problem with the needle inside the gun, its warped and bent and will only come out with force.

people use windex mainly for the ammonia. latex based products have ammonia in them as one of the carriers that evaporates off. If the product was not a water or latex base windex may not help. denatured alcohol is a versatile fairly aggresive solvent that may help. when you pull back on the trigger and release does the needle move in and out smoothly or even move at all?

FishThanks,the trigger is just being held on the brush by the needle. I have taken off the needle adjusting sleeve/assembly do you think that the denatured alcohol would be better? I don't think it is a bent needle I just think it is froze up with tanning spray. But i could be wrong. I have pulled pretty hard on it already and I'm a big boy:lol:.

Thanks, Keith

Keith,

Have you tried rotating the needle from the back end? It does sound like that tanning solution has it frozen in place. If need be, I would use a pair of vise grips on the aft end of the needle and try rotating it, if you can rotate it I would think you should be able to start easing it out.

New needles don't cost too much and I would also replace that packing seal.

I would try soaking it in denatured alcohol, it probably will not take to long if it is going to work. It is used for making and reducing shellacs and varnishes and will dissolve latex paint off of anything. I build custom homes and my painter got me using it about ten years ago and I am never with out some on hand. The idea of heat may help depending on the product that was sprayed, but I might stick to a good hairdryer or a heat gun on low a little at a time. As bad as it is seized I would plan on the cleaning brush set you can get through air brush suppliers to scrub out the needle bore when you do get it free and maybe a seal. A quart of denatured is reasonable and would be the first I would try. I clean my airbrushes with laquer thinner but I am spraying automotive urethanes.

if its virgin teflon heat nor accetone wont hurt it.

I would try just med heat to begin with. med heat will not generally hurt virgin teflon( thats pure teflon) or other teflons.

its used in alot of seal applications for that very reason.

if you have a heat gun that should do the trick.

Delw