crankbait321

Painting Phantom Green/Brown Wiggle Wart?

Believe I posted a recipe for "ghost" craw warts on here a few years ago using Createx. Requires thin paint, high psi, extender, and I usually add some plain medium to further enhance transparency.

When it is right, you will just be spraying dry pigment, not so much paint.

Whew...only another three or four years of posts to catch up to. Happens when you add kids to the equation.

From prior, elderly posts:

"It's tough to give you an exact, "always start this way", sort of rule on thinning C-tex. Some of the colors shoot fine right out of the bottle (transparent red and tint black, for examples). Others need lots of attention.

As a couple of examples, mixed in 1/4oz color cups:

1) Chartreuse...10-12 drops paint : 2-4 drops water : 2-4 drops retarder

2) Ghost brown craw...12-16 drops paint : 3-4 drops retarder : 6-8 drops plain transparent medium : 6-8 drops extender : 6-8 drops water

If you look at these mixes you can get an idea of the PAINT:OTHER STUFF mix ratio. The first mix is my basic chartreuse for sides, bellies, highlights...a nice dry shooting, brightly covering in 2-3 coats chart. The second is a very light, dry shooting, color that tends towards opacity at about 4-5 coats, but will still let light come thru a clear bait. Wouldn't shoot either of these below 35psi, mostly 40-45psi."

"Try backing off on the water and run your psi up to at least 30. An example: tonight I am shooting phantom or ghost craws with very thin and extended createx (for the see thru effect) at about 40-45psi. Paint is going on flat and dry, unless I foul up and trigger too much paint flow. I am blow dring between layers of color. For sides, bellies, and blending you want lots of air and very little paint. You can do this with the trigger, lots of air, but release minimal paint. Try shooting on a nice white basecoat...should be able to see the paint leave the gun and hit the bait in a dry, flat finish, a light strip of color with each stroke. Subsequent strokes will build the color to the value you want, can't do it all in a few strokes."

Hope it helps. Going back to casual lurking.