COBRA

crank bait final coat

It was melted sugar...fish in the south love sugar!!! It will crystalize on the bait if you heat set it at 350 and let it cool off next to a cow fan.... I find time flys on the lake with a sugar coated crankbait in your mouth. If you have a true talent you can dip skoal and taste the sugar at the same time with out mixin the juice.

The Rookie.

The duplicator used in the video is one designed by Lee Sisson and build by his brother Vaughn. I talked to Lee several weeks ago and I know they are still making them by special order. The reason I say this is a Sisson duplicator is a clue to the type of clear coat used in the video. It's the same buld coat I use as do many other wooden crankbait producers.

I'm wrestling with whether this is confidential trade information of if I should share it with the forum. Contact me directly at *******, scroll to the bottom of largemouth navigation button on left side to 'Contact Ron' and I'll answer you one at a time.

Edited by redg8r
Removed URL

If you look close in the beginning of the video, he is cutting in the lips on a completed bait with a band saw. Interesting jig idea.

I was also suprised how little attention was paid to the Sisson bait duplicator. Obviously the owner didn't want the camera to reveal the workings of the duplicator but if you've never seen one in action, you're missing out on observing an interesting piece of machinery. Flat sided, rounded, small and large baits-well worth the $15-$20,000 in my opinion. It pops baits out two at a time and can generate up to 500-600 baits per 8 hour day.

I didn't see him using any stencil for side bars but I did see two different methods of creating scale patterns.