mmartinez

Crackleback

Amazing I was trying to do Crackle at the same time this thread popped up. I have read the prior threads about using enamel and acrylic and on using the crackle brush or dip on coating. BUT, I am still having no luck in getting a crackled finish!

Here is what I am specifically using. White Createx base dried, topped with Createx Dark Brown. Then I have tried BOTH light and heavy coats of Folkart Crackle Medium followed by trying to spray on Createx Satin Gold over the top. It is the Gold I want to crackle.

And I have tried this combination with heavy and light coats of crackle brushed on and dried before spraying on the gold. I have tried it spraying the gold on before the brushed on crackle coat dries completely and no luck!

I am beginning to think it has something to do with the Gold. But those are the colors I want to use.

So any suggestions would be appreaciated. Perhaps it is just the Folkart brand versus some of the other brands mentioned.

Gator,

How long are you letting the Folkart dry? Don't let it dry all the way or it will not work. Only let it air dry for about 15 minutes then spray the gold.

Try different colors also....... if it works say with red over yellow then maybe it does have something to do with the gold....... Since that last thread I have had good success with Createx paints....... Deep red over Opaque yellow......... Medium grey over pearl white..... ....... The crackle works nicely............

Hi BJ ! Do you brush or dip the crackle on? I have had some success with the folk art medium but I just kinda poured it on , let it dry until it was just slightly tacky and sprayed on a thicker than average coat of createx. I crackled pretty well but I have no real technique for it yet. Any help wound be great, thanks.

Gator,

How long are you letting the Folkart dry? Don't let it dry all the way or it will not work. Only let it air dry for about 15 minutes then spray the gold.

Try different colors also....... if it works say with red over yellow then maybe it does have something to do with the gold....... Since that last thread I have had good success with Createx paints....... Deep red over Opaque yellow......... Medium grey over pearl white..... ....... The crackle works nicely............

Thanks I will give it a try, and I will say I was drying it when I tried the 'dry' method versus wet. I think I am going to drop my air pressure some when putting on the top coat. Perhaps if it goes on a bit wetter then...

Thanks I will give it a try, and I will say I was drying it when I tried the 'dry' method versus wet. I think I am going to drop my air pressure some when putting on the top coat. Perhaps if it goes on a bit wetter then...

That should work.......... :yay: If the crackle is still wet it will start crackling almost immediately..........

Tightliner, I don't know how much help I can be........ I just brush it on..... kind of a medium coat..... let it dry as you do then spray the Createx............ That's all I do........... :?