Snax

My latest Swimbait

Hey everyone,

Here's a look at my newest swimbait. This is a 10" Walleye replica. After MUCH tinkering with joint types the past several months i have settled on the ones seen here. I believe that Mark Poulson also uses this method which is just creating a small slot for the screw eyes to sit inside. The hinge pin passes through the two screw eyes and the flat faces of each section catch the water creating a great swimming motion.

The only thing I did as far as shaping the faces was to notch out a section on one end of each body segment where the screw eyes stick out from. This helps give the lure a better side profile with less space and allows for more freedom of motion. If I didn't do the notches, the screw eyes would need to be sticking out further thus making larger gaps between body sections. Whether or not that would effect the action or not I don't know but I like the look of tighter spacing.

Obviously the hooks and all hardware are not installed in the photo. I'm about to send this wooden body off to be made into the mold for my Featherlite models. Hope you like it.

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Rule 3 violation photo size 1023px

It does swim well Jed. I pay close attention to where I place every joint.

This one swims with almost no head movement and it looks like the tail is actually propelling the lure. Even though I've done a ton of experimenting on my own I have definitely borrowed from many of the other folks here who were kind enough to share.

Nice job Snax. Are you going to keep the molded fins/tail or are you planning on replacing them with fibetts?

I'm going to stay with the molded fins and tails Lockjaw. I love the look of the fibbetts but it's just so time consuming to do them.

hey snax what are the width and height of this bait and where did you put the ballast?

in my baits i have to ballast each section seperatly and to the point of slow sink then put it all together and it swims fine but when its lite enough to float it has alot of roll?

when you went from wood to plastic did the ballast amount or placement change?

Great questions!

The bait is 1.25" at it's thickest and it tapers down into the tail. I'd guess the height to be about 2", maybe more. I weighted the first three sections only and mostly the head section.

The only difference in ballast going from wood to Featherlite is in the actual amount of weight added. Its location remained the same.

I keep the weight between the belly and the center line of the lure for a keel effect.

The lure can be worked slow or fact equally well with no rollover at high speeds.

Edited by Snax

Snax, thanks for the video. I wish we could see a lot more videos on everybodys lures built here on TU. They really shows the most important part of a lure. Your swim action is awsome.

I'm just getting the hang of working w/ PVC & now you have these poured lure bodies. I can't imagine starting a whole new way of building these creations. Does this ever end? Keep up the hard work & Snax you are an inspiration to people here on TU. Keep us posted as always.

Tim

Thanks for the kind words Tim, and to answer your question it NEVER ends! lol Even after making a successful bait I'm now thinking about how to make the next one even better! It's a sickness but one I'd never want a cure for.

I also enjoy seeing videos of everyones lures and I think with lures it's almost needed to really get the design across. Words can only convey so much but these videos are a great educational tool. I'll never forget seeing my first John Hopkins swimbait video! Wow! :worship: