carver

D2T Bubbles

Still learning. I created a lure with a paint job that I was very happy with. I applied D2T as my topcoat and made a couple rookie mistakes.....applied too much too fast and didn't use a brush. Resulted in small bubbles. D2T hardened.

Is there anyway to fix this or is this a lost cause? I'd really love to save this lure. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

P.S. I have read some of the archives on how to prevent this in the future, I just want to see if it's possible to fix what's been done.

Thank you.

Sand down the bubbles and put on a second coat d2t. The old finish will be scuffed up but will clear up when you apply the next coat. I usually thin my d2t with acetone for a second coat so I don't end up with a huge amount of finish. I doesn't take much acetone, err on the light side.

Were you heating the lure after applying the epoxy? In cool weather, if you warm up a lure just coated in any topcoat, the air inside will expand and try to find a way out. If it does - bubbles. This also pertains if you topcoat in a cold garage and then bring the lure inside the warm house to cure. Once epoxy is cured, it's very resistant to chemical or solvent intervention. Any fix has to be mechanical - either sanding out the problem of stripping the lure completely.

I was inside at room temperature when doing this. As mentioned, I think I made several mistakes most likely all spawned from rushing instead of taking my time.

Anyway, I am going to try and lightly sand away the bubbles and then reapply a light coat of epoxy......taking my time of course:) With any luck, it will work.

Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it.